Stony Brook men’s soccer remains unbeaten in CAA play

Forward Olsen Aluc looks to create an opportunity with the ball against Delaware on Saturday, Sept. 16. Aluc scored his team-leading fourth goal of the year at Northeastern on Saturday. TIM GIORLANDO/THE STATESMAN

Though it only generated one prime scoring opportunity, the Stony Brook men’s soccer team capitalized to remain undefeated in conference play.

In a rainy affair, the Seawolves (2-3-2, 2-0-2 CAA) found themselves on the back foot for the entire time against the Northeastern Huskies (3-2-3, 1-1-2 CAA) up in Boston. Even so, they were able to salvage another point in a 1-1 draw to maintain sole possession of first place in the Coastal Athletic Association (CAA).

The teams took time to adjust to the inclement weather. With the ball pinging from one end of the pitch to the other throughout the first half, each team entered halftime with just two shots apiece.

The Huskies had the best chance of the opening half in the 19th minute. Northeastern forwards Sebastian Restrepo and Kevin Ogudugu combined for a give-and-go in Stony Brook’s box, but Restrepo trickled his shot wide of the Seawolves’ net.

The Seawolves were outmaneuvered at the start of the second half, but they finally found space to roam in the 53rd minute. Midfielder Amit Magoz split three defenders with a pass to switch the field. The ball found defender Jon Jelercic, who carried it up the right wing before passing to forward Moses Bakabulindi. Northeastern defender Fabrizio Cubeddu clobbered Bakabulindi and drew a yellow card, setting up Stony Brook with a set piece.

Midfielder Lorenzo Selini took the free kick and delivered a cross that fell in front of Northeastern goalkeeper Gregor Shaw. Making a run towards the box, forward Olsen Aluc stuck his foot out and tapped the ball past Shaw to give Stony Brook the 1-0 lead.

It did not take long for the Huskies to respond. In the 61st minute, the Seawolves’ defense gave Restrepo space as he received the ball on the left flank. He took five touches — each inching closer to Stony Brook’s box — before unleashing a curling shot to the right. Goalkeeper Edmond Kaiser got his hand to the ball on a full-extension dive, but it was not enough to deflect it out.

Restrepo was again given space from nearly the same spot in the 65th minute, but Kaiser won the ball this time — tipping the shot over the net for a corner kick.

The Huskies continued to pile on the pressure but did not catch Kaiser’s attention again until the last kick of the game. With time running down, a desperation kick was sent up the field toward Northeastern forward Edward Rendle. He outpaced defender Sean Towey, but his outstretched feet did not contact the ball, allowing the final bell to sound with the match knotted at one apiece.

The Seawolves attempted a season-low four shots on Saturday. Aluc and midfielder Trevor Harrison each attempted a shot while Magoz took a pair. Aluc now leads the team with four goals, while Selini recorded the first assist of his Stony Brook career.

Forward Johan Velez debuted as a Seawolf, coming in in the 72nd minute and playing for 14 minutes.

Kaiser made three saves, his lowest number of the year. Stony Brook surrendered 10 shots, which was its best mark of the season. Restrepo led the Huskies with three shots and landed two on target. Northeastern defender Thomas Vold assisted Restrepo’s goal. Shaw finished with two stops.

The Seawolves will now return home and compete in an unorthodox nonconference match on Tuesday. Stony Brook will host a NCAA Division III team from Long Island — the St. Joseph’s Golden Eagles — at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium. The Golden Eagles are 4-4 this year and are coming off a 2-1 win over Maritime. Opening kickoff is set for 6:31 p.m.