Stanley says University’s future is bright

President Samuel L. Stanley, Jr. discussed new investments in advancement and research and applauded the adoption of the NYSUNY 2020 legislation during his annual State of the University Address on Wednesday, Sept. 21.

“Despite these severe cuts, our budget picture today looks far brighter than it did last year,” Stanley said.  “This year Stony Brook University and all of our supports helped lead the fight for something historic in NYSUNY 2020. “

The legislation, which New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed into law in August, will allow Stony Brook to implement tuition increases of $300 for the next five years, increase tuition for out-of-state students and allocates $35 million in capital funds to Stony Brook.

“For the first time we know our future revenue and we can gauge in long-term fiscal planning,” Stanley said.

Since 2008, Stony Brook has received more than $82 million in budget cuts.  According to Stanley, the increase in revenue will not offset the continued cuts until the fifth year of the tuition plan.

Stanley assured that the increases would not affect the most economically disadvantaged students.  According to Stanley, Stony Brook will cover the “tap gap,” or difference between tuition increase and the maximum TAP provided by the state, for families making less than $75,000.

But NYSUNY 2020 isn’t the only thing that Stanley hopes will propel Stony Brook to truly become the “Berkeley of the East,” a vision of Stony Brook’s second President John S. Toll, for whom a special memorial was held prior to the address. Toll passed away in July at the age of 87.

According to Stanley, the university is also looking at ways of obtaining better philanthropic support by developing new advancement initiatives.

This may be a challenge, as some alumni don’t have a strong connection to Stony Brook, but Stanley thinks it is possible.

“Simply remind people that they did make friends,” Stanley said of the challenge at a reception following the speech.

Stanley is also looking at using Stony Brook’s partnership with Brookhaven National Laboratory and Advanced Energy Center to the fullest by collaborating with the two on research endeavors.

New faculty and administrators, including new Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs Dennis Assanis, were also introduced during the address.

According to Stanley, Assanis will be looking at and developing new initiatives in online learning.

“It’s a great way of delivering education to those who don’t have access,” Assanis said at the reception about an idea to broadcast classes to people outside the Stony Brook community.

According to Assanis, this will help build a brand for Stony Brook and spread the university’s name.

“We have come along way since the days of ‘Mudville’ and the ‘Bridge to Nowhere’,” Stanley said.  “But we are not resting on our laurels. There is much more to be done.”