Navigating the transition to college, dos and donts

Xingling Yu (front right) and their friends taking the train from Port Jefferson to Stony Brook before the fall semester began. During this transformative experience Xingling was able to find comfort in discomfort and grew a new confidence. XINGLING YU/THE STATESMAN

Xingling Yu is a freshman at Stony Brook University.

As we said goodbye to the carefree days of summer and prepared for the crispness of fall, I began my journey at Stony Brook University and ventured into an unfamiliar environment with 26,000 fellow students. 

When I arrived at the campus, I slowly realized that my life was on the cusp of a transformative journey. The nervousness and excitement of attending Stony Brook, mingled with the apprehension of leaving my memories and home behind. 

In Brooklyn, everything is easily accessible. I live in a neighborhood with numerous stores and supermarkets nearby and a train station just five minutes from my house. The longest I’ve ever waited for a train was about 20 minutes. Even my friends live close to me, which makes it easy to plan meet-ups without hassle. 

When I stepped off the train, I couldn’t help but wonder if I would thrive in this suburban environment, which felt vastly different from the bustling nature of the urban setting I was used to. I’ve also never seen so much nature in one area. If you’ve lived in a suburban area for a long time, Stony Brook’s environment might be more familiar and navigable.

Welcome Week was dull for me. Every freshman had to attend mandatory events or else they would get an orientation hold on SOLAR. Eating at the dining hall, rather than my own dinner table, was jarring. You must have your Student ID card swiped through a machine when you want to eat at any of the dining locations. Regrettably, the food was consistently mediocre and lacked quality. Day after day, the menu remained the same and made me long for more variety. Luckily, you can visit off-campus restaurants and try them with your friends if you start to hate the food options on campus; it’s only a 20 minute walk to most places. 

The dorm life I’ve always dreamt of has turned out to be just that: a dream. I envisioned a clean living space, but unfortunately, the dorms fell short of those expectations. Dirty bathrooms and showers, as well as spots of mold latched onto the carpets were unwelcome surprises that made it painful to transition from what I was used to. If you decide to dorm, bring lots of cleaning supplies and scent sprays to make your room smell pleasant. I implore you to get an air humidifier and a small vacuum, too. 

The process of structuring a collegiate schedule compared to building a traditional high school one was a whole new experience for me. Unlike in high school, where classes and teachers were often predetermined, at Stony Brook, I could choose my courses based on their times and which professors suited my preferences. This newfound experience allowed me to take classes within my range of interests and has improved my academic experiences. 

Through my own personal experience during these last few weeks, I’ve collected some words of wisdom for any Stony Brook student, freshman or otherwise. 

Maintaining friendships is a vital role in staying positive. Being thrust into a new setting can feel scary. Camaraderie makes the experience enjoyable rather than isolating. Keep your friends close — you never know when you’ll want to lean on them for support as the school work piles up.

When the burden of maintaining connections and balancing school work boils over, it may feel like there’s no way out of the pit. Mental health is no joke, and we must take good care of ourselves. If you are ever struggling with mental health, there are support centers on campus. Finding friends and classmates who can support you is also crucial. Remember that by supporting one another, we can create a community that thrives on inclusivity, innovation and personal growth.

Not only is maintaining your mental health important, but it’s also crucial to be aware of your physical health. The weather sometimes reaches 80 degrees in the summer, which can feel more akin to a sweltering 98 degrees on campus. With these high temperatures, you should not be wearing a sweater outside and make sure to stay hydrated. 

Remember not to stay inside your dorm for too long. Buildings on campus that have air conditioning will be your new best friend. These places can include your hall’s lounge, the Frank Melville Jr. Memorial Library, the Student Activities Center, the Stony Brook Union and campus dining locations (at East Side or West Side). 

If you’re not an early riser, don’t force yourself to be. Going to 8 a.m. classes in high school isn’t the same as in college. If you can’t handle early classes, don’t risk your mental health; take classes at 9 or 10 a.m instead. 

With these tips in mind, make sure to enjoy the experience. It might be scary, but this entrance to campus life marks a new chapter in your book. Even though it can be a struggle to balance your school work, friends and mental and physical health, make sure to enjoy the transition. There are four years to make your mark on this new era — don’t waste it.

By moving away from the hustle and bustle of urban life to a suburban campus, I’ve been able to find comfort in discomfort and deeply value the relationships I formed during this transformative experience. I’m confident that my experiences from the past few weeks will make this an eventful next three years.