Top Staller Center events to look out for this semester

A graphic showing Staller’s upcoming events for the fall semester. The events at Staller are bursting with an abundance of entertainment and exciting performances. ILLUSTRATED BY JERRY WEINTRAUB/THE STATESMAN

Fall is finally here at the Staller Center. Spending the night at the Center immersing yourself in live music or enjoying a comedy show are perfect ways to de-stress and enjoy your free time while engaging in campus life. Here are the top events happening at the Staller Center to mark on your calendars for this semester.

1. Disney Pixar’s “Coco” Live-to-Film Concert

In celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, there will be a live-to-film screening of Pixar’s “Coco.” The film follows a 12-year-old boy named Miguel who dreams of being a musician, but his family follows a strict no-music rule. When Miguel accidentally crosses over to the Land of the Dead during Día de los Muertos, the audience is taken on a journey with him back to the Land of the Living while trying to reverse his family’s music ban. What makes this screening special is the presence of a 20-member music ensemble, consisting of Oscar and Grammy Award-winners who will be performing “Coco’s” musical score live alongside the film. The event will take place Oct. 9 at 4 p.m. on the Staller Center’s main stage.

2. Emerson String Quartet Grand Finale

Join the nine-time Grammy Award-winning Emerson String Quartet for its farewell performance at Stony Brook University. For its grand finale, the Quartet will perform Beethoven’s String Quartet in Bb Major and Schubert’s String Quintet in C Major with special guest David Finckel on the cello. Be sure to save the date for Oct. 14 at 8 p.m. to attend the spectacular concert at the Staller Center. The Emerson String Quartet will be performing for the last time at a sold-out show at the Lincoln Center the following weekend from Oct. 21 to Oct. 22.

3. Evan + Zane Performance

The duo Evan + Zane will perform their album “DREAMS” on Nov. 3 at 8 p.m. Evan Rachel Wood, known for her roles in “Westworld” as Dolores Abernathy and “Frozen II” as Queen Iduna, joins forces with Zane, known for his role in U2’s “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” on Broadway and collaborations with singer-songwriter John Mayer. The duo will explore the realms of beloved and familiar music through a combination of jazz-infused rock and roll sounds.

4. Tom Segura Comedy Sketch

Want a night full of laughter? Tom Segura will be making a stop at the Staller Center on his “I’m Coming Everywhere” tour on Nov. 11 at 8 p.m. Segura, known for his Netflix specials such as “Ball Hog” (2020) and “Disgraceful” (2018) will certainly deliver a hilarious performance. Most recently, the stand-up comedian published a #2 New York Times bestselling book titled “I’d Like to Play Alone, Please.” 

5. LeAnn Rimes Concert

LeAnn Rimes will be coming to the Staller Center on Nov. 18. With a career spanning over two decades, Rimes has sold more than 48 million albums worldwide and earned an impressive collection of awards, including two Grammy Awards, 12 Billboard Music Awards and the esteemed American Society of Composers and Publishers (ASCAP) Golden Note Award. ASCAP Golden Note Awards are given to artists who have “achieved extraordinary career milestones.” Her extensive catalog of chart-topping singles includes the sensation “Can’t Fight the Moonlight,” which charted at No. 1 in 11 countries. Beyond her musical achievements, Rimes is recognized for her dedication to advocacy, receiving awards such as the Ally of Equality Award and the ACM Humanitarian Award

At the end of Staller’s fall season, don’t miss the electrifying jazz performances by Isaac Mizrahi and Jane Monheit on Dec. 1 and Dec. 9, respectively. This fall semester at Staller seems bursting with an abundance of entertainment and exciting performances.  

Note: Previously, this article stated that after the Emerson String Quartet Concert, there would be a reception. The Staller Center has since canceled the reception.