Offense explodes as men’s soccer beats Fairfield, 4-1

After being shut out in four of its first six games, the Stony Brook men’s soccer team finally hit top gear, using three second-half goals to beat the Fairfield Stags, 4-1, in front of a handful of people at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium on Tuesday night.

Berian Gobeil Cruz scored twice in a dominating performance for the Seawolves, who improve to 3-3-2 and have won two games in a row.

The Stags struck first in the eighth minute. Jon Clements hit a powerful shot that flew straight into the top corner of the goal from nearly 35 yards out.

But the Seawolves were having the better of the game, peppering the Fairfield goal and ultimately outshooting the Stags, 18-3, including 9-0 in the second half.

Stony Brook struck back before halftime, with Cruz stripping the ball away from Jonny Raj and hitting a shot from close range into the top of the goal.

The second half was all Seawolves. It was actually Fairfield that wound up scoring the game-winning goal, when, in the 58th minute, Jack Cleverley turned a Christian Molinar cross into his own net.

Stony Brook padded the lead in the 65th minute, with Cruz taking a perfectly timed pass from Leonardo Fernandes and finishing on his first touch, sliding the ball beneath Fairfield’s goalkeeper.

The final tally was scored by Glenn Whelan, who headed home off a laser-like cross from Serigne Sylla.

The Seawolves play next on Friday at Pennsylvania, with kickoff set for 7 p.m.