Women’s soccer continues to struggle

The Seawolves are now 1-7 on the season, and have been shut-out in five games this season. (Efal Sayed/The Statesman)

For the fifth game in a row, the Stony Brook women’s soccer team went into halftime with a score of 0-0. Despite having several chances to score in the first fifteen minutes of the second half, the first goal of the evening came from Army’s Melissa McLaws on an unassisted corner kick.

The women’s soccer team cannot catch a break.

Despite holding the Army team scoreless for nearly 60 minutes and outshooting the Black Knights 14 to 12, the Seawolves (1-7-0) lost their seventh straight match.

“Tough loss tonight,” said Head Coach Sue Ryan. “We had the better of the possession and didn’t finish our chances, they finished their chance.”

After Army scored, Ryan said she decided to push players from the back forward to try and tie the game. Unfortunately, this backfired – Errin Helbling dribbled around SBU’s keeper Chelsea Morales and scored to make the game 2-0 in Army’s favor.

“Live by the sword, die by the sword,” Ryan said. “You’re either going to score and tie it up or give them another chance, and that’s what ended up happening.”

“You have to give Army credit, they were plugging away, they got their one chance and they finished”

The Seawolves were also playing without two of their starters; sophomore Larissa Nysch and senior Dominique Adamo sat out on doctor’s orders after suffering from injuries in games last week.

With nine games left in the season, eight of which are America East conference matches, Stony Brook needs things to start looking up fast. However, despite their lackluster record so far, Ryan remains optimistic.

“One indicator of success is the result and one indicator is your play, so we’re extremely disappointed in the result,” she said. “But we played hard tonight and we fought, and that’s a good sign for our team.”

The Seawolves headed to Fairfield on Sunday for their final non-conference match-up of the season. Stony Brook came away with a 2-1 victory over Fairfield University.

Senior Rachel Silverman scored the game winning goal in the 54th minute to help snap the seven game skid. Junior Sa’sha Kershaw also scored on a penalty kick in the win.

The Seawolves open up against conference play against Vermont on Sunday at 1 p.m.