Stony Brook softball suffers blowout loss at St. John’s

Right fielder Alyssa Costello reaches on a throwing error against Fordham on Wednesday, April 26. Costello had two hits in the Stony Brook softball team’s loss to St. John’s. TIM GIORLANDO/THE STATESMAN

In its final nonconference game of the season, the Stony Brook softball team did not even make it past the fifth inning.

The Seawolves (22-25, 7-13 CAA) traveled to Queens, N.Y. on Wednesday to take on the St. John’s Red Storm. It was a complete horror show for Stony Brook, who suffered a 10-0 mercy-rule defeat in just four and a half innings.

In both the top of the first and second innings, the Seawolves loaded the bases against St. John’s starting pitcher Lorely Francia, but no one delivered the clutch hit that they desperately needed. Starting pitcher Mia Haynes got through her first two innings of work with ease, allowing just two walks. However, everything came crashing down on Haynes and the Seawolves rather quickly in the third inning.

After allowing two runners to reach base to start the inning, Haynes’ defense let her down. First baseman Ashley Jacobson made a fielding error that allowed the first run of the game to cross the plate, making it 1-0 St. John’s.

Soon after, a walk by Haynes loaded the bases and Jacobson’s second error of the inning brought home another run. After that, Haynes surrendered a two-run double to St. John’s catcher Katie Whittaker, prompting relief pitcher Amanda Flynn to enter the game.

With Flynn now in the circle, the Seawolves did not fare any better. Flynn immediately allowed a two-RBI single to St. John’s designated player Peyton Cody to make it 6-0. St. John’s second baseman Cassidy Stouffer followed the single with a two-run home run over the left field fence to cap off the eight-run third inning.

Haynes’ final line on the day was much worse than it should have been due to the poor defense. Haynes pitched just 2 ⅓ innings and allowed two hits, six walks, and was charged with six runs. Luckily for Haynes, her ERA actually went down, as all six runs were unearned.

Relief pitcher Ashton Melaas took the circle to start the bottom of the fourth inning after an unproductive top half from Stony Brook’s bats. Like Haynes and Flynn, Melaas struggled mightily in her lone inning of work.

Upon entering into the game, Melaas allowed an RBI double to St. John’s shortstop London Jarrard and a pinch-hit RBI single to Sabrina Seaton to make it 10-0. Stony Brook had no answer for the Red Storm in the top of the fifth inning, invoking the mercy rule and ending the game.

One of the very few positives for Stony Brook in the game was the continued success of right fielder Alyssa Costello. After earning Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) Player of the Week honors, she stayed hot by going 2-for-3 with a double on the day.

Ahead of Costello, center fielder Alicia Orosco also went 2-for-3. At the bottom of the lineup, third baseman Brooke Dye and second baseman Sofia Chambers each went 1-for-2.

Head coach Megan Bryant did not speak to the media after the game.

Stony Brook will have to bounce back this weekend at home against the Monmouth Hawks, as the two teams will battle for the eighth seed in the 2023 CAA softball tournament. The Hawks are currently eighth place in the CAA, but the Seawolves are just a half-game back of them. The winner of the series will clinch the playoff spot.

The three-game set will be held at University Field, starting off with a doubleheader on Friday before concluding on Saturday. Games one and two are scheduled to start at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m., respectively. Monmouth is 10-31 this year and 8-13 in the CAA after splitting its doubleheader with Fairleigh Dickinson on Wednesday.