Stony Brook softball splits midweek doubleheader

Starting pitcher Ashton Melaas stands in the circle after throwing a pitch against Hofstra on Saturday, March 18. Melaas pitched a complete game shutout at Fairleigh Dickinson on Tuesday. TIM GIORLANDO/THE STATESMAN

Starting pitcher Ashton Melaas’ dominant streak continued on Tuesday, helping the Stony Brook softball team capture a split of its midweek doubleheader.

The Seawolves (13-17, 3-8 CAA) traveled to Madison, N.J. on Tuesday for a nonconference doubleheader against the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights. Stony Brook took game one 3-0 before losing a back-and-forth affair 8-5 in the second game.

Melaas took the circle for the Seawolves and dominated once again. Melaas pitched her third complete game shutout of the season, allowing just four hits and a walk while racking up two strikeouts. The Knights simply had no answer for her.

For the first half of the game, Stony Brook’s bats were silent against Fairleigh Dickinson starting pitcher Julia Swan. In the fourth inning, the Seawolves finally broke through.

With two runners in scoring position and nobody out, left fielder Alyssa Costello sent a two RBI single to center field to make it 2-0.

In the top of the fifth, Fairleigh Dickinson relief pitcher Alayna Savaglio came in to pitch and immediately surrendered a leadoff single to second baseman Sofia Chambers. After advancing to second on a groundout, Chambers scored on an RBI single from designated player Julianna Sanzone singled up the middle.

After that, Melaas retired nine of the next 10 batters to finish game one.

Game one was a complete team effort for the Seawolves, as they combined stellar pitching with good offense and solid defense, committing no errors in the game. Game two, on the other hand, was a completely different story.

Stony Brook got off to a fast start against Fairleigh Dickinson starting pitcher Payton Wagner. Costello brought in the game’s first run with an RBI single in the top of the first.

In the bottom of the first inning, starting pitcher Mia Haynes gave up her early lead immediately. With two outs in the inning, Fairleigh Dickinson first baseman Abbey Hoesman blasted a two-run homer over the left field fence to make it 2-1.

The score remained the same until the fifth inning when the Seawolves mounted a comeback. With runners on the corners and no outs, Chambers scored on a passed ball to tie the game at two apiece. After that, a bunt single by left fielder Shauna Nuss knocked Wagner out of the game in favor of Fairleigh Dickinson relief pitcher Malori Bell.

Bell did not fare much better, as she hit Badger to load the bases. A sacrifice fly by right fielder Catherine Anne Kupinski put Stony Brook in front. A walk to Costello loaded the bases once again before shortstop Naiah Ackerman was hit by a pitch, forcing in a run to make it 4-2.

Similar to the first inning, Haynes failed to protect the lead. The Knights cut Stony Brook’s lead down to just one run when she allowed the first four hitters to reach base. After that, a throwing error by catcher Emily Reinstein after a well-executed relay enabled the tying run to score.

Yet another walk by Haynes prompted a call to the bullpen for relief pitcher Amanda Flynn. The Seawolves defense continued to struggle when Ackerman committed a throwing error to allow the go-ahead run to score.

In the bottom of the sixth inning, Fairleigh Dickinson put the final nail in Stony Brook’s coffin. Another three runs crossed the plate, putting the Seawolves in an 8-4 hole. A solo homer by Costello in the top of the seventh inning was all they were able to muster up in their final turn at-bat.

In total, Stony Brook recorded three errors in game two after being spotless in the first half of the doubleheader. Three of the Knights’ eight runs were unearned.

Despite the inconsistent day, Costello had a fantastic day at the plate. She went 3-for-6 with a home run, four RBIs, one run scored, a walk and a stolen base. Kupinski was also good for Stony Brook, going 2-for-5 with a sacrifice fly, a hit-by-pitch, an RBI, a run scored and a stolen base.

Head coach Megan Bryant did not speak to the media following either game.

Stony Brook will be back in action this weekend down in Delaware for a crucial three-game set with the Delaware Blue Hens. A doubleheader is scheduled for Friday with game one set to begin at 1 p.m. Delaware is currently 15-15 on the year and 7-2 in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) after sweeping Monmouth in three games. The Blue Hens will face off with Saint Joseph’s on Wednesday before the series with Stony Brook.