Women’s soccer drops two home games

Despite junior Taryn Schoenbeck’s best efforts, the women’s soccer team (1-4-0) suffered two losses this past week.

Schoenbeck scored both of Stony Brook’s goals, her first two of the season. However, this was not enough, as Stony Brook fell  2-1 to Sacred Heart in Sunday’s match, and again lost 2-1 to Long Island University on Friday.

The Seawolves held Sacred Heart scoreless for the first half, but struggled against rough winds to get the ball upfield.

“The wind played a major factor in the game today,” said head coach Sue Ryan. “We had a hard time. . . The wind was really causing a problem with those balls in the end.”

Schoenbeck scored off a loose ball under the arm of Sacred Heart’s goalie in the 81st minute, rallying the Seawolves and tying the game at 1.

Overtime looked imminent, but a shot from Sacred Heart’s Lauren Boccio in the 85th minute gave the Pioneers the win.

Sacred Heart outshot the Seawolves 11-9, but Stony Brook’s goalie Chelsea Morales had six saves to the Pioneer goalie’s five.

In Friday’s game, Schoenbeck again scored at a crucial moment. She scored a high shot off the crossbar on a free kick with 2:05 left in regulation time, making the score 1-1 against LIU.

As in Sunday’s game, neither team scored for the entirety of the first half.

Schoenbeck’s goal sent the match into overtime, but the Blackbird’s Ariana Calderon sent a shot careening over Morales’ head in the 96th minute to give LIU the win.

SBU was outshot 13-8, and Morales had five saves in the game.

“For us to come back after being down is a very positive sign,” Ryan said. “Once it gets to overtime, kind of anything can happen and you kind of have to tip your hat, it was a great shot.”

“You hate losing and you don’t want to lose, but we had a good effort tonight and we came back, and those are encouraging signs for the team.”

The Seawolves also had to deal with injuries.

Against Sacred Heart, sophomore Larissa Nysch was removed from the game after spraining her right ankle and left in an ambulance. Senior Dominique Adamo was injured in the LIU game after being hit in the left knee. No word yet on if or how long they will be out.

Stony Brook plays away next Sunday at Fordham University. Gametime is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.