New Jersey prospect commits to men’s basketball

For Roselle Catholic High School head coach Dave Boff, there was no surprise when his top player, Jameel Warney decided to commit to Stony Brook in mid-August.

“Jameel is an extremely loyal guy,” Boff said. “Stony Brook showed interest a long time ago, and he told me that he had been leaning towards Stony Brook the week before he committed.”

Ranked as the fifth best recruit in New Jersey by ESPN, the 6-foot-8 inch power forward was recruited heavily, reportedly receiving interest from 17 different schools, including the University of Iowa, University of North Carolina at Charlotte and St. Peter’s College.

Wanting to stay closer to home, Warney cut his list down to two schools: Stony Brook and Rider University. He cited the campus environment as a big factor in committing to Stony Brook.

“I came up for a visit in May and I liked it,” Warney said. “I liked it even more on the second visit.”

Warney also received support from senior guard Bryan Dougher, a fellow New Jersey native.

“He told me how he was happy with his education and the school,” said Warney.

Cited by ESPN as “a big man who wants to be a big man,” Warney considers his  rebounding abilities, shot-blocking and low post presence as his main strengths.

“I’m a hard working guy,” said Warney. “I like making everyone better around me.”

Warney has been compared by some observers to recent NBA 1st round pick and fellow New Jersey native Kenneth Faried, the all-time NCAA leader in rebounding.

“I can see that comparison,” said Warney. “We are both good rebounders.”

Warney and Boff, however, both liken his game to a different player.

“I don’t like the comparison to Faried that much” said Boff. “I actually like the Kevin Garnett comparison, who he likes to model his game after.”

While Warney is known for his play around the basket, he is looking to improve and expand on other aspects of his game.

“I’m working on my perimeter defense and shooting,” said Warney. “I’ve been working out a lot to get stronger.”

When Warney leaves Roselle Catholic, he will likely leave as the school’s all time leading scorer. He currently has 1,286 points, only 52 points behind the school’s all-time leading scorer in both boys’ and girl’s basketball.

“He is the best player I have ever coached, and probably the best player the school has ever had,” said Boff. “He is a special young man, I am very proud of him.”

When asked about what role he would see himself at Stony Brook next year, Warney did not give a particular expectation.

“I just want to come in and work hard, and do my best.” said Warney.