Stony Brook University Hospital ranks within top 50 American hospitals

The outside of Stony Brook University Hospital. The hospital received recognition from Healthgrades as one of America’s top 50 hospitals. LUIS RUIZ DOMINGUEZ/STATESMAN FILE

Stony Brook University Hospital (SBUH) received Healthgrades’ America’s 50 Best Hospitals Award, signifying the hospital’s improvements since last year’s rankings. 

SBUH has ranked in the “top 1% in the nation for providing the highest clinical quality year over year,” according to Healthgrades.

“Well, of course we were thrilled to see Stony Brook University Hospital continuing to move up to the top of the best hospitals in America,” Dr. Harold Paz, the executive vice president for health sciences at SBUH and chief executive officer for Stony Brook University Medicine, said.

Healthgrades ranks hospitals based on each facility’s performance and outcomes. The online database evaluates and compares the quality of care provided by each hospital. 

According to Healthgrades, SBUH received a 72% patient satisfaction rate this year. This is 2% higher than the average ranking across America’s hospitals. 

“I think it’s our patient centered approach,” Paz said in response to the patient satisfaction rate. “We are focused on addressing the needs of our patients and their families.”

Kathryn Ravano, a sophomore studying biochemistry and biomedical engineering, agrees with this sentiment.

“I’ve been [to SBUH] a few times,” Ravano said. “I’ve had family members who’ve worked there, I’ve had family members who have been treated there, and overall they’ve had really great experiences.”  

Paz explained how SBUH has been actively working on improving operational processes and “expanding faculty capacity.” He also emphasized SBUH’s pursuit of educational partnerships.

“Our education is very much inspired by the work they do over there,” Ravano said. 

As Paz explained, SBUH and Stony Brook University (SBU) work closely together to inspire students to pursue careers in medicine. 

“It’s the type of atmosphere I hope to work in when I become a physician one day,” said Gianna Montante, a sophomore studying women’s gender and sexuality studies with a minor in health, medicine and society. As a volunteer and research assistant at SBUH, she reflected on her positive experiences. 

Montante said that in her experience, the hospital is “focused on bettering the care of patients.”

Although this is the highest Healthgrades ranking the hospital has received so far, SBUH has been ranked in the top 100 hospitals in America since 2019, and the top 250 best hospitals prior to that. Additionally, the hospital has received specialty awards for cardiac care and procedures, stroke care, neuroscience and surgery.

The Cerebrovascular & Comprehensive Stroke Center at SBUH was the first hospital in Suffolk County to receive the Comprehensive Stroke Center (CSC) certification by The Joint Commission, an organization that promotes quality healthcare. 

Paz also noted that SBUH has a highly regarded Comprehensive Epilepsy Center. However, he explained that one of the hospital’s main priorities is community outreach. 

“So a lot of the work that we do has to focus on reaching out to the community,” Paz said, explaining that patient care extends beyond one’s stay at the hospital. 

The hospital’s community efforts are centered around “focusing on prevention” and “getting patients to take better care of themselves,” Paz said. 

SBUH offers programs and events that help to engage the community and encourage healthy lifestyles. For example, the Mall Walkers Club gives people the opportunity to exercise as well as receive periodic health screenings. 

Despite their successes, Paz emphasized that the hospital’s staff will continue to improve the quality of care that they provide for their patients.

“We’re continuing to evaluate opportunities for expanding our physician practices,” Paz said. “We have numerous teaching alliances, we’ve announced some [already]. We have a list on the way.”

Paz attributes the hospital’s success to its core values.

“It is a commitment to the community,” Paz said. “Where we can take the academic excellence that we have at the university and translate that innovation through research into cutting edge, exceptionally high-quality care — patient-centered care for all.”