Five weeks of winter in Port Jefferson: 10 things to do over break

The Port Jefferson Big Chair along the harbor. With the end of the semester and the winter break approaching, students staying on campus can check out places and attractions around Port Jefferson. MAYA DUCLAY/THE STATESMAN

With the end of the fall semester in sight, excitement of the upcoming break and winter activities is building. For anyone staying on campus this upcoming winter, there are plenty of things to do without having to travel far.

Whether you are more of a foodie, a theater person or just looking to have a day out, Port Jefferson — just one LIRR stop away from campus — is a quaint village with an abundance of small businesses and restaurants that can’t be missed.

If you’re looking to go out with friends or spend some time exploring, here are some suggestions of what to do in Port Jefferson.

Escape Hour 

Need to get your mind off of winter course work? Well, Escape Hour has you covered. This attraction offers two different themes of escape rooms that players can choose from, where they have to solve clues and riddles to break out before time runs out. At $28 per person, this activity offers a chance to bond with friends and focus on an imminent adventure other than your online internship.

Mindful Movement

After a stressful end to the semester, a perfect way to relieve stress is a movement class at Mindful Movement. This wellness studio specializes in pilates, barre, strength training and more. They offer classes for all levels of fitness, from beginner to advanced. If you are interested in pilates reformer classes, Mindful Movement offers your first class for free. Book your free class here.

The store front of Slurp Ramen in Port Jefferson. The restaurant offers homemade ramen bowls, rice bowls and bao buns in a quick-service, fast casual dining experience. MAYA DUCLAY/THE STATESMAN

Slurp Ramen

Hungry after a long day of pilates and escape rooms? Duck into Slurp Ramen to exchange the cold weather for warm, comforting bowls of Japanese noodles. This eatery is a village favorite due to the exquisite quality of its food, the quick service and the admirable prices, with each ramen bowl being only $15. Despite “ramen” being in the restaurant’s name, they serve much more than that with offerings like rice bowls and bao. Slurp Ramen will leave everyone satisfied or possibly craving for more.

Curry Club at SaGhar, across the harbor of Port Jefferson. Offering a twist on traditional North Indian cuisine, the sit-down establishment has dishes to satisfy carnivores and vegetarians. MAYA DUCLAY/THE STATESMAN

Curry Club at SāGhar

This sit-down Indian restaurant will allows customers to embrace the culture with a welcoming aroma of Indian spices as soon as they walk into the door. Their North Indian food, though on the pricier side with an entree costing around $20 a plate, is not to be missed. Each dish is intricately prepared and well-seasoned, bringing an unfamiliar dish to one of comfort. For any vegetarians, the paneer curry with naan bread is easily one of the most flavorful non-meat dishes Curry Club offers. 

Window shopping at Port Jefferson is made easier with interesting boutiques and shops, such as Breathe, a crystal and jewelry store on 116 East Main Street. The specialty products provide a wide array of gifts for the holiday season. MAYA DUCLAY/THE STATESMAN

Shopping

Port Jeff has various boutiques and shops sprinkled throughout the walkable town, with everything from spiritual shops to homemade pet treat stores. One place that should be on everyone’s radar is Breathe, which offers a variety of specialty products. With many trinkets such as candles, jewelry and crystals, it is easy to get lost in exploring everything on the shelves and possibly pick up a gift for yourself or a loved one. 

Theatre Three 

Theatre Three, a non-profit theater, has been a hot spot for entertainment in Port Jeff ever since it opened in the 1960s. The theater puts on a variety of shows ranging from classics to comedies. From Nov. 12 to Dec. 30, the theater is performing the festive “A Christmas Carol” for $20 per ticket. If you don’t celebrate Christmas, fear not, because Theater Three is also hosting a comedy show on Dec. 31. 

The Secret Garden Tearoom & Gift Shoppe

Fancy a cup of tea? Enjoy delicate scones, finger sandwiches and an assortment of miniature pastries with a pot of tea of your choice at The Secret Garden Tearoom for $48 per person. If the afternoon tea spread is too much food, the tearoom offers a multitude of smaller portions, such as a pot of tea and two scones for $15. The tearoom also has a corresponding shop that sells a variety of loose teas, freshly baked scones and tea essentials. 

The Sweet and Savory Creperie located on 104 Main Street in Port Jefferson. Whether it be salty or sugary, the café provides warm flavors that are difficult to resist. MAYA DUCLAY/THE STATESMAN

Sweet ‘N Savory

This eatery hits the spot for all types of meals with its extensive menu of both sweet and savory crêpes. With delicious flavors like s’mores and cinnamon apples, they’re difficult to resist. Each crêpe is freshly made right as you order it, which will instantly make your mouth water with anticipation. The warm, French-filled pancake perfectly compliments the caffè latte, which is made with Illy coffee beans. If you are not a fan of crêpes, Sweet ‘N Savory also serves rice puddings and Belgian waffles.

The Shipyard Building located in Port Jefferson Harbor. Starting Nov. 25, the Harbor will be opening their seasonal ice-skating rink with skate rentals and weekend discounts. MAYA DUCLAY/THE STATESMAN

Harborfront Park

Starting Nov. 25, there will be a seasonal outdoor skating rink available for all. The admission rate for adults on weekdays will be $12 and will increase to $13 on weekends. There will be skates available to rent for those who do not have their own for a fixed price of $6. Feel free to skate your heart out or just take a stroll around the park and admire the calming waterfront views Port Jeff offers. 

Friends of the Port Jefferson Library 

Drop by this charming used book store to discover your next best read or to attend one of the exciting events they host, such as baking holiday munchkins on Dec. 20 and more. The endearing bookstore encourages you to walk in and explore. The staff is incredibly friendly and willing to help you at any given moment. Check out the events they are hosting with the Port Jeff Library here.