Stony Brook men’s soccer continues slump, reaches double-digit losses

Defenders Sebastian Rojek (21) and Evan Peters (4) in action against Charleston on Saturday, Oct. 8. The Stony Brook men’s soccer team was shut out again for its third consecutive loss. KAYLA GOMEZ MOLANO/THE STATESMAN

Another weak offensive showing from the Stony Brook men’s soccer team ensured that at least half of its season would be filled with scoreless matches.

The Seawolves (4-10, 2-5 CAA) were shutout in Philadelphia by the Temple Owls on Tuesday night, losing by a score of 2-0. Temple’s two early goals were all they needed to hand Stony Brook the loss, as the team’s offense could not find the scoreboard for the eighth time this season.

The Seawolves found themselves trailing for almost the entire game. In just 13 seconds, Temple midfielder Fabian Grant scored a goal from way outside the box to give Temple an early 1-0 lead. His shot lined beyond the outstretched arms of goalkeeper Edmond Kaiser, finding its way into the right side of the net.

The Owls doubled their lead in the 26th minute when defender Sawyer Koza scored his third goal of the year. Stony Brook’s offense played catchup for the rest of the night but struggled to manufacture good shots against the Temple defense.

The Seawolves found themselves outshot 16-14 in this match. Though the 14 shots is a lot, they were only able to muster up three shots on goal. The lack of accuracy shooting the ball gave Temple goalkeeper Eoin Gawronski an easy clean sheet with only three saves. Two of his saves came late in the game to help secure the shutout. Defensively, Stony Brook allowed eight shots on goal, forcing Kaiser to make six saves. 

Midfielder Amit Magoz was the team’s leading shot-taker, as he attempted three shots during his 74 minutes of play. Midfielder Bas van Beckhoven and defenders Jon Jelercic and Iker Alvarado each recorded a shot on goal.

Forward Jonas Bičkus only played for 33 minutes in Tuesday’s game. It is unclear why Bičkus only played for that long, as head coach Ryan Anatol did not speak after the game. During his time on the field, he took two shots, but neither were on goal. 

The matchup with Temple was also Stony Brook’s final non-conference game of the season. The Seawolves went 2-5 in their non-conference games, losing each of their last four. Their last non-conference victory was on Sept. 6 at Columbia

The loss against Temple was Stony Brook’s third straight loss, dropping the team to 1-9 over its last 10 matches. The Seawolves are currently ninth place in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) with only six points earned. They have not been eliminated from the tournament yet, but they must win each of their last two games and get help from other teams to make it. 

The Seawolves will look to bounce back this Saturday against the UNC Wilmington Seahawks down in North Carolina as they look to make a late playoff push. Opening kickoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. The Seahawks are 5-3-5 overall this season and 4-1-2 in conference play. They tied 1-1 against the George Mason Patriots on Tuesday.