Bikes vs. Boards

Depending on the location of classes on campus, getting from one building to the other can be quite the workout. Although people can walk the distance, some choose to ride their bicycles. Some students, however, take a different approach, by skating their way to classrooms.

So the question is which is better, two wheels or four?

Bicycles make a strong case, what with how common they are in society and how easy it may seem to ride one.

Anthony Chikva, a bike rider on campus, finds his bike very efficient for multiple reasons.

“A bike is more comfortable for me but at the same time it goes much faster than a board would plus it’s a great cardio workout,” Chikva said.

But skateboards or longboards have their own benefits as well. Boards are much lighter and smaller, and therefore more portable. Rather than being left outside, boards can easily be stored in a dorm, safe from theft and hazardous weather conditions.

Not only did Daniel Reyes, a freshman resident skater, explain these advantages, he added a unique perspective into what skating can become for some people.

“I realized that I chose to ride boards over bikes not because of what others would think of me, but because boards provided more freedom in travel, self-expression and adrenaline fueled fun,” Reyes said. “Riding a bicycle couldn’t provide that for me.”

Students looking to buy a source of transportation around campus really have to weigh both options before they choose. But Jeremy Michaels, a freshman looking to buy a vehicle, made his choice despite his interest in both sets of wheels.

“I actually know how to ride a bike, so that’s realistically my only option at this point,” Michaels said. “I also plan on biking around the campus for fun and exercise.”

It’s apparent while being a pedestrian at Stony Brook that bike riding and skateboarding, while similar in their purpose, both provide different levels of exercise and expression.