Stony Brook men’s soccer suffers homestand sweep after shutout loss

Midfielder Bas van Beckhoven takes a free kick of the game against Northeastern on Sept. 24. The men’s soccer team lost 1-0, adding another game to their losing streak. KAYLA GOMEZ MOLANO/THE STATESMAN

Another bad offensive showing led the Stony Brook men’s soccer team to a winless homestand.

The Seawolves (3-6, 1-3 CAA) hosted the Northeastern Huskies on Saturday to wrap up their four-game homestand at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium. The team was unable to generate any offense against the Huskies, as they were shutout 1-0 and suffered their fifth straight loss. Stony Brook took just one shot on goal.

The Huskies started and finished the scoring in the 20th minute when forward Federico Tellez scored an unassisted goal to give Northeastern the lead. Navigating from the top of the box, Tellez created space for himself with a crossover move before shooting his shot over the top of the Stony Brook defense. The ball sailed over the outstretched arms of goalkeeper Edmond Kaiser and into the back of the net. The one goal wound up being too much for Stony Brook to overcome, as they were shut down on offense for the entirety of the game. 

“I thought it was a fairly even game,” head coach Ryan Anatol said in a postgame interview with The Statesman. “In the first half, we had a little bit more of the possession. I thought we created some of the better chances. But poor defending at the top of the box and [Tellez] makes a really good goal. That’s ultimately the difference in the game today.”

One notable part of the game was the return of Kaiser, who had been sidelined with a leg injury that he sustained the day before the Seawolves’ season opener at LIU. Kaiser came back strong with a total of five saves in six opportunities, which equaled his totals from the LIU match. Kaiser’s good game gave the Seawolves an opportunity to come back, but their offense was not up to the task.

“Happy to have Eddie back,” Anatol said. “It’s good to have him healthy again and back in the lineup. I thought he did a good job.”

The Seawolves’ offense attempted only eight shots. Forward Jonas Bičkus led the team with three shots and recorded its only shot on goal. His shot was saved in the 80th minute by Northeastern goalkeeper Colby Hegarty, helping him secure a clean sheet.

The game had no shortage of fouls and penalties from either side. There were 11 yellow cards and one red card issued between the two teams. Midfielder Trevor Harrison was ejected from the game in the 82nd minute when he committed his second penalty of the night. This marked the first red card to be issued to a Stony Brook player this season. Due to the red card, Harrison will be suspended from the Seawolves’ next game. 

The Seawolves will look to end their five-game losing streak next Saturday when they will travel to West Long Beach, N.J., to play against the Monmouth Hawks. Monmouth is 3-4 this year and 0-4 against CAA competition. They lost their most recent match 2-1 against Elon on Saturday.