The Student News Site of Stony Brook University

The Statesman

36° Stony Brook, NY
The Student News Site of Stony Brook University

The Statesman

The Student News Site of Stony Brook University

The Statesman


Stony Brook men’s soccer suffers third consecutive shutout as offensive woes continue

Forward Jonas Bickus has a shot saved in the game against William & Mary on Sept. 17. The Seawolves were shut out for the third straight match to fall below .500 on the season. CAMRON WANG/THE STATESMAN

A third straight scoreless performance from the Stony Brook’s men’s soccer team led to another defeat at the hands of a conference rival.

The Seawolves (3-4, 1-2 CAA) hosted the William & Mary Tribe on Saturday, Sept. 17 at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium. Stony Brook was handed a 2-0 defeat after being held in check by the Tribe defense, marking the third shutout loss in a row for the team.

Although both halves were contested, William & Mary was the only team on the day to break through. The Tribe scored in the 34th minute on a counter attack that ended with midfielders Alexander Levengood and Marcos Villeda combining for the game’s first goal. Levengood picked up his fourth assist of the season — co-leading the CAA — while Villeda scored his first goal of 2022.

In the 81st minute, Levengood once again left his mark on the match, scoring his second goal of the season to double the Tribe’s lead. 

Although improved from their last performance, the Seawolves’ offense came up empty again on the day, finishing with 10 shots and six on target.

“I thought we created opportunities today,” head coach Ryan Anatol said in a postgame interview with The Statesman. “When you give up goals, it allows a team to not have to come out as much. Our ball in the final third has to be better. Finishing has to be better. Some of our runs to get into the box. It’s the little things.”

Bright spots for Stony Brook included another solid performance for Curtis Copenhaver. The Seawolves goalkeeper tallied six saves on the day to bring his total to 25 on the season and his save percentage to .735. 

The match also saw the first start of the year for forward Kameron Blaise. The senior had the team’s best scoring opportunity of the match but could not capitalize. In the 24th minute, he received a pass and then sprinted past a defender before whistling a shot just wide right of the goal.

“He adds some pace up top, and that’s what we miss when he’s not around,” Anatol said. “His ability to get in behind defenses, his ability to run at the back line. I thought he caused some problems today.”

Stony Brook’s best surge of the game came at the start of the second half, as the team came out of the break firing with three shots on target within five minutes. However, they were denied at every stop by William & Mary goalkeeper Danilo Nikcevic, who finished with six saves on the day.

Stony Brook will remain home for its next match on Tuesday, Sept. 20, when they will welcome the Yale Bulldogs in a non-conference game. Opening kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m. The Bulldogs are 3-0-2 on the season and are currently riding a three-game winning streak after defeating Marquette 3-2 on Saturday.



Leave a Comment
Donate to The Statesman

Your donation will support the student journalists of Stony Brook University. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

More to Discover
About the Contributor
Alex Streinger, Assistant Sports Editor
Alex Streinger is an Assistant Sports Editor of The Statesman. He is a junior majoring in journalism and minoring in political science. He is the beat reporter of the Stony Brook men’s soccer and nationally-ranked women’s lacrosse teams. He interns at Movendi International, the largest independent global social movement for development through alcohol prevention.
Donate to The Statesman

Comments (0)

All The Statesman Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *