Tuition Hikes Monitored from SUNY 2020

State University of New York and City University of New York campuses will have an increase in tuition every year for the next five years after Gov. Andrew Cuomo (Dem.) signed the NYSUNY 2020 bill into legislation in early August.

The plan, which includes providing funds for campus construction, is set to replace what is deemed “an era of dramatic tuition increases.” The plan allows for SUNY and CUNY campuses to increase tuition by up to $300 per year for the next five years. In the past 20 years, the tuition has been increased by up to 6.7 percent.

Shown here are other SUNY campuses' challenge grant plans.

Under the provisions of the plan, Stony Brook University’s in-state tuition for 2011 is $5,270, an increase of $300 from the 2010 tuition of $4,970. If the tuition had increased by 6.7 percent from the 2010 cost, it would have been $5,302.99. The bill aims to prevent these types of “dramatic increases” and is intended to allow students and families to plan to afford school.

SUNY and CUNY campuses will also be awarding tuition credits to students who have the least financial means to pay tuition. These tuition credits will be awarded to students who are eligible to receive a New York State’s Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) award.

The bill would also allow the SUNY campuses of Stony Brook, Albany, Binghamton and Buffalo to increase out-of-state tuition by 10 percent each year for five years. The Stony Brook out-of-state tuition had a 10 percent increase from $13,380 to $14,720.

The out-of–state tuition increase, however, is subject to approval through a challenge grant application. The Challenge Grant Program is a partnership between Cuomo and SUNY to create long-term development on the SUNY campuses and surrounding areas. Each of the challenge grant applications begin with awarding $35 million to each of the four SUNY centers to fund the development.

Stony Brook’s application includes a plan to build a Medical and Research Translation (MART) building, which will focus on cancer research and care. The 250,000-square-foot MART building would be located on the Stony Brook University Medical Center campus. Its construction is predicted to create 4,200 jobs.

“This plan is not just about expanded research and economic development, although it accomplishes both of those goals,” said Stony Brook University President Samuel L. Stanley, Jr. in a press release. “Most importantly, it’s about increasing access to a quality education at Stony Brook. Students will be able to get the classes they need to graduate on time and we will be able to open our doors to 1,500 more students over the five-year period of the plan.”

Stony Brook has made a “commitment” to those students who may not be able to afford a tuition increase by increasing financial aid, the president added.

“Every student will benefit,” Stanley said.

Stony Brook’s plan includes a tuition program that will allow for the university to increase tuition and create revenue while at the same time protecting students and families from drastic tuition hikes. The university will also increase financial aid given to students whose families have an income of $75,000 or less.

With additional revenue, Stony Brook plans to hire 245 new faculty, 80 medical professionals, and admit an additional 1,500 new students within the next five years. The number of courses taught by full-time faculty would increase and so would the number of undergraduate course sections available to students. The availability of more classes could help students graduate on time without the need to pay out of pocket for summer or winter classes or even an extra semester.

“Stony Brook University’s NYSUNY 2020 proposal promises greater access for students, higher academic quality, a state-of-the-art venue for groundbreaking medical research and job creation for Long Island and New York State,” said SUNY Chancellor Nancy L. Zimpher.