Women’s Soccer Kicks Off Conference Play

When the Stony Brook women’s soccer team began America East play this past Sunday, they had recorded just one win on the season.

But hosting New Hampshire, the Seawolves looked like the team they have the potential to be, winning 2-0 over the 1-8-1 Wildcats.

Sophomore Holly Razzaghi, 21, scored the eventual game winner in the 27th minute, her first goal of the season. She was named the SimplexGrinnel Stony Brook Athlete of the Week for her efforts.

Standout striker Meghan Gilley provided the other tally for the Seawolves. The 18-year-old freshman has been crucial to the Stony Brook attack, leading the team in goals with three.

Freshman midfielder Sa’sha Kershaw, 18, has been similarly important, assisting Gilley’s goal on Sunday and factoring into two others on the year. Her four points are second on the team only to Gilley’s six.

The win is a glimpse of hope for a team that played what head coach Sue Ryan called ‘the toughest non-conference schedule in our program’s history.’ Five of their nine non-conference games this fall went into overtime, including a draw against national #13 Rutgers.

Senior goalkeeper Marisa Viola has been outstanding again for the Seawolves. Stony Brook’s 21-year-old shotstopper is chasing several Stony Brook goalkeeping records, including saves and shutouts. Her clean sheet against New Hampshire leaves her just one behind the program record.

Now 1-0 in conference play, the women will be looking to preserve their perfect America East record when they take on Hartford away on Oct. 1.

Further down the line, they will be looking to avenge last year’s playoff loss when they host regional #10 Boston University on Oct. 15 in what could be the match of the season for the Seawolves.