SBU Athletic Director thwarts drunk driver

Stony Brook’s athletic director, Jim Fiore, took a wild ride on Friday night when he apprehended a drunk driver who crashed into a tree in front of his house.

According to Fiore’s Twitter page, the driver’s airbags deployed when he hit the tree. Fiore was reaching in the passenger-side window to grab the man’s keys when the driver put the car in reverse and drove away.

“I just didn’t want any innocent people to be injured. So I did what any other person would do in the same situation and tried to dismantle the car and driver before someone was critically injured,” Fiore said in an email.

He was still partially in the car when it took off, but managed to disengage himself from the vehicle and exit unharmed. He promptly got into his own car to give chase, following the other car until it crashed again, this time into a fire hydrant.

Fiore pulled the driver out of the car and held him until the police arrived, after which he said the suspect was placed under arrest.

After the incident, an obviously pumped Fiore turned to Twitter to tell his story.

“He’s in jail. BRING ON IRENE!” he tweeted.