Women’s soccer sets high expectations

Dominique Adamo is one of six seniors on this year's women's soccer team. (Kenneth Ho/ The Statesman)

Sue Ryan has coached the Stony Brook Women’s Soccer team for 26 seasons and has turned what once was a dismal program into one of the finest in the Northeast. But as Coach Ryan enters her 27th season, the longtime soccer coach still has yet to win a conference championship while coaching the Seawolves.

However, it seems as though the team is on the cusp of finally doing something special. Stony Brook has advanced into the America East conference semi-final game in each of their past four seasons and has finished second in the standings in two of the past three. But even with the Seawolves history of coming up short coupled with the fact that Stony Brook was picked to finish second in this season’s America East Coaches Poll, players are still optimistic  about breaking that trend this season.

“I expect that we are going to win the America East championship,” said junior midfielder Sa’sha Kershaw. “Competitive, non-conference play will better prepare us for what we will face in conference.”

The Seawolves have 17 letter winners and 8 starters returning this year. The team has also added an additional 11 freshmen players to their roster. The top four scorers for the women’s team — including Kershaw, Dominique Adamo, Colleen McKenna and Taryn Schoenbeck — are returning for another shot at the America East title.

“This season we have a team with such great depth and talent,” said Adamo. “For the most part we have the same starting line up with a few new players that will see tons of playing time who will impact our team this season.”

Senior captain Dana Adamkiewicz is returning at her defensive midfield position and sophomore goalie Chelsea Morales, who was an America East All-Rookie player in 2010, will also return to her post between the sticks.

Regan Bosnyak proved herself to be an impact freshman this season as she started her first game with the Seawolves and played nearly 60 minutes in the central midfield role. Freshmen Megan Rea and Christina Casamassina also received playing time as they showed the Seawolves squad and coach that they are ready to contribute to winning a championship this season.

“Our team has a great connection on and off the field and is definitely strong enough to be on top and take home the championship victory this year,” said Adamo. “This is the year that we can win the America East tournament.”