Gunna confirmed as headliner for Brookfest 2022

Fans crowd the floor section of the Island Federal Credit Union Arena for Brookfest 2016. Gunna has been announced as the headliner for the spring 2022 Brookfest concert. KRYSTEN MASSA/THE STATESMAN

Gunna has been announced as the headliner for the spring 2022 Brookfest concert to be held on April 21. 

After two years of virtual events and performances, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) announced the lineup at this year’s in-person Brookfest concert during the USG Block Party. 

“Brookfest is coming back, we’re bringing back the hype,” USG President Manjot Singh said. “Everyone has been waiting for this moment … So it’s time to bring back that hype — bring back that campus life.”

Gunna, whose latest album “DS4Ever” landed the No.1 spot on the Billboard 200 album chart earlier this year, will be joined by New York rappers Young M.A and Capella Grey.

Young M.A is best known for her quadruple-platinum hit single “Ooouuu,” and “Gyalis” rapper Capella Grey was nominated for a Soul Train Music Award in the Best New Artist category in 2021.

We really haven’t had a concert on campus because of COVID … Having that real experience, you know, that’s what college life is about. We want to give that experience to the student body,” Singh said.

The Brookfest concert will be held in the Island Federal Credit Union Arena on April 21 at 6:30 p.m. Ticket information and other details will be released by the Undergraduate Student Government in the coming weeks.