Standout running back leaves Stony Brook

Gowins 2010 season was hampered at USF with a groin injury. (Kenneth Ho/The Statesman)

Edwin Gowins, former running back for the Stony Brook Seawolves football team, has opted against returning to Stony Brook this season, and instead will be attending NCAA Division II school California University (Pa.)

Last year, Gowins played only two games due to an injury but in 2008 he was second in the Big South and 10th in the nation with his 119.1 yards per game. In that same year, Gowins was named national Freshman of the Year by the College Sporting News. In 2009, he was named first team All-Big South for the second consecutive year in a row.

When asked about his exit from Stony Brook, Gowins stated that he “just needed a change.”

After his injury, Gowins was replaced by Hofstra transfers Brock Jackolski and Miguel Maysonet, who both rushed for more than 1,000 yards and earned all-conference first-team honors with the team.

During his time at Stony Brook, Gowins was plagued by injuries his entire career but still managed to put up impressive numbers, helping the Seawolves to their first Big South championship in 2009.

Gowins resorted to his Facebook to let all of his friends know about his decision to play college football elsewhere this season. .

“It’s been real NY !!! I’ll be back in Nov after I ball out something crazzzzyyy!!! Sept 1st 7pm the Boiiii is back !!!! Wuddup Pitt!!”
    California University plays in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference and has made four straight appearances in the NCAA playoffs.

Adam Gutes, Athletic Communications Assistant for Stony Brook University, stated that “Eddie Gowins asked for and was granted his release from the University.”

“Eddie did some great things for us, but we’ve moved on.  We wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.”