Stony Brook softball almost sweeps Rutgers Tournament

Outfielder Shauna Nuss up to bat in the game against Hofstra on April 6, 2021. The Seawolves won 3-1 at the Rutgers Tounament. STEPHANIE MACH/THE STATESMAN

Corinne Badger isn’t the only one who can hit home runs.

Right fielder Alyssa Costello slugged two home runs and scored four runs to help the Stony Brook softball team go 3-1 at the Rutgers Tournament this weekend. Costello, whose grand slam in extra innings helped the Seawolves (12-8) win their opening match against Fairfield, was 8-for-12 in the tournament and improved her batting average to .435 on the season.

Badger and third baseman Brooke Dye each hit a solo home run against Holy Cross. Second baseman Sofia Chambers added a pair of RBI hits during Sunday’s double header to help secure Stony Brook’s success in New Jersey. Badger now has nine home runs this season; the remaining Stony Brook players have seven between them.

Pitcher Dawn Bodrug tossed eight innings of one-run softball against Fairfield in game one of the double header on Saturday, a 5-1 Stony Brook victory. The Stags were held scoreless by Bodrug through her first seven innings of work. Across those seven innings, Bodrug only allowed three hits. She fanned 13 batters and stranded eight Fairfield runners on the basepaths.

The only problem for the Seawolves was that Stags pitcher Bailey Taylor was also pitching a gem. Taylor matched Bodrug’s performance with seven scoreless innings of her own, sending the Seawolves into their second extra inning game of 2022.

Stony Brook’s first extra-inning affair ended with a walk-off single by South Florida right fielder Alexis Johns during the USF Tournament. Then, the Seawolves failed to bring home outfielder Shauna Nuss, who was placed on second base as an automatic runner in the top half of the eighth inning.

On Saturday morning, the Seawolves were ready to learn from their mistakes. With Nuss placed on second base once again in the top of the eighth, center fielder Alicia Orosco bunted her over. With the game winning run on third, designated player Catherine Anne Kupinski and Badger both drew a pair of key walks — the second of which resulted in a wild pitch by Taylor to bring in Nuss from third.

But the Seawolves weren’t satisfied with a one-run lead. After a single by first baseman Lindsey Osmer loaded the bases, the stage was set for Costello.

The freshman sent the first pitch she saw over the fence for a grand slam. It was her first collegiate home run, and it gave the Seawolves a 5-1 edge over the Stags.

Stony Brook’s five-run outburst was more than enough for Bodrug to close the door on Fairfield in the bottom of the eighth, securing her eighth complete game of 2022 and lowering her ERA to 1.91.

Costello’s power at the dish carried over into the second game of the day, but Stony Brook dropped the contest 5-4 against Drexel.

After falling one run behind Drexel in the third inning, Costello slugged her second home run of the day to give the Seawolves a 2-1 lead.

Pitcher Shelbi Denman took the ball for Stony Brook in game two. She gave up five hits and walked six batters, despite striking out seven. After gaining the 2-1 lead, Denman couldn’t contain Drexel — second baseman Ashley Errico launched a solo shot in the sixth inning to tie the game at two apiece.

Stony Brook took the lead back in the top of the seventh when Badger roped a single into center field to score shortstop Kyra McFarland and Kupinski. The clutch single gave Badger her eighteenth and nineteenth RBIs of the season.

With a 4-2 lead heading into the bottom of the seventh, the Seawolves looked to have swept the double header. But Drexel staged a three-run comeback without recording a single hit.

Denman walked three batters in the bottom of the seventh. Two Drexel runners came around to score on a passed ball and an error by Dye. Denman handed the ball to pitcher Ashton Melaas, hoping to keep Stony Brook’s one-run lead.

But left fielder Megan Trivelpiece walked with the bases loaded to walk off Stony Brook by a final score of 5-4.

“We had to grind through two tough ball games today,” head coach Megan T. Bryant said in a press release. “One ended the way we wanted, one didn’t. We did a lot of good things, and we are still learning what it takes to consistently play at a high-level.”

The Seawolves struck back on Sunday morning with a 5-4 win over Saint Peter’s.

Bodrug made her 11th start of the season and went the distance. She wasn’t quite as dominant as she was against Fairfield in game one — she gave up four earned runs and five hits including two home runs. However, Bodrug still recorded 10 strikeouts against the Peacocks.

Stony Brook took an early 1-0 lead in the second inning when Chambers singled to left field, scoring Costello. Saint Peter’s quickly answered back with an RBI double by outfielder Olyvia Smith to tie the game up at one.

Down by one after a home run by Saint Peter’s third baseman Maiah Skakal, Stony Brook tied the game on a bunt single by Dye. Costello came around to score for her second run of the game. Chambers also scored due to an error by Skakal at third base, giving the Seawolves a 3-2 lead.

Stony Brook further capitalized in the fourth inning. On the first pitch she saw, Nuss tripled into right field to drive in Dye. Orosco piled on with a single to left field to score Nuss from third.

Bodrug held Saint Peter’s scoreless throughout the fifth and sixth innings. Although the Peacocks put up a strong fight in the seventh inning thanks to a two-run home run by designated player Kasidy Slusser, Bodrug was able to strike out the last batter she faced to secure the 5-4 win.

The Seawolves wrapped up the Rutgers tournament with a 5-0 win against Holy Cross.

Melaas got the start in game two. She allowed three hits in four scoreless innings of work. Of the 16 batters that she faced, Melaas produced seven groundouts.

Chambers gave the Seawolves an early 1-0 lead in the second inning when she doubled to center, scoring Costello.

Stony Brook slowly extended its lead over Holy Cross via the longball. On a 2-2 count in the third inning, Badger slugged a solo shot over the fence Dye followed Badger’s footsteps with a solo shot of her own in the sixth.

Denman came in for relief in the fifth inning and shut Holy Cross down to secure her first save of 2022.

“It was great to finish our weekend strong with two well-played wins,” Bryant said. “Most importantly, we put all three parts of the game together — pitching, defense and offense — and everyone in the lineup contributed. These were true team victories.”