An Alternative to Pricey Haircuts

“I would go only if I was desperate for a haircut,” said Renee Fitzpatrick, about Studio 97, the salon located in the Union basement.

The 18-year-old anthropology major usually chooses her hometown salon, Capozi and Company, to trim her locks.  “I get a discount because my mom knows the owner.”

But after finding out that Studio 97’s prices beat her discount by $15, she immediately changed her mind. “I would definitely go,” she said. “It’s right on campus, and cheaper than back home.”

Men’s haircuts are $12, and women’s cuts start at $20. Nail services range between $12-$28. Eyebrow shaping is $7.
BeautyandBrains preceded Studio 97 as a male barbershop. After it closed, the Faculty Student Association chose Maria Castro-Giovanni to lease the space as Studio 97. The Studio opened its doors on Halloween of 2008. This is the second studio Castro-Giovanni has owned.

In a previous interview with The Statesman, Castro-Giovanni said, “I want this to be the [students’] salon, so that they have a stress-free place to go.”

“[The studio] is different because it is unique in having to service students,” said Castro-Giovanni. “Students are more creative and apt to try new things. They are a lot easier clientele to deal with and I love being around them.”

The studio is not open during breaks, but according to the staff, business remains constant during the school year. Hours at the salon vary. The salon is open Monday, Thursday and Friday, from 10 AM- 5:30 PM and Tuesday and Wednesday between noon – 8 PM. Castro-Giovanni scheduled the time frames based on when she believed students were not busy.
Five hairdressers and two nail technicians currently staff the salon. Maria and the staff at Studio 97 make a trip to their salon a personal and down-to-earth experience. “When students realize we’re trained professionals, they become more relaxed. They usually come back for all services.”