Scott’s hot streak continues as Stony Brook women’s basketball extends win streak

Guard Earlette Scott going for the ball in the game against UNH on Jan. 28. In the game against UMass Lowell, Scott scored 18 points. KAT PROCACCI/THE STATESMAN

The Stony Brook women’s basketball team may be ineligible for the postseason, but they can still do the next best thing: beat every team in the America East.

With their 69-65 win over the UMass Lowell River Hawks on the road Wednesday night, the Seawolves have now won against every team in the conference save for UMBC, whom they will face twice next week.

Guard Earlette Scott led all scorers with 18 points on 5-for-9 shooting, marking the fourth time in five games she has scored at least 15 points. Forward Leighah-Amori Wool added 14 points on 4-for-7 shooting.

Guard Erin Turral reached double digits for the first time in her career with 11 points in 12 minutes, and guard Annie Warren added 10 points.

Stony Brook led most of the game after two early layups by Wool gave the team a 9-7 lead. Wool and Turral both hit 3-pointers in the last minute of the first quarter, and the Seawolves controlled the second quarter with five defensive rebounds to head into halftime up 39-25.

The Seawolves looked to be running away with the game with a lead of 16 points midway through the third quarter. However, UMass Lowell ended the frame on a 14-2 run to tie the contest up at 55 by sinking a buzzer-beating transition three off a Stony Brook turnover.

A late 7-0 run by the River Hawks (7-11, 4-5 AE) put them ahead 62-60, but Scott responded with her most impressive stretch of the game. She made six free throws and a 3-pointer in the final six minutes of the game to seal the win for Stony Brook.

Forward India Pagan scored seven points to move into 10th place on the Seawolves’ all-time scoring list. She needs just over 50 points to overtake Corella Hill and Lisa White for eighth place.

Stony Brook now sits at 20-2 (11-1 AE) with an 11-game winning streak, making head coach Ashley Langford the first Seawolves coach to win 20 games in their first season. The team returns to action at home against Maine on Feb. 12.