Fast start helps Stony Brook women’s basketball dominate Maine

Senior guard Annie Warren making a free throw shot in the game against Washington State on Dec. 19. Warren scored 15 points in the Maine game, leading all scorers. KAT PROCACCI/THE STATESMAN

It’s fair to say that the rivalry between Stony Brook and Maine is becoming one-sided.

Less than 24 hours after the men’s team beat the Black Bears at Island Federal Arena, the Stony Brook women’s basketball team crushed Maine 63-44 on the road this Sunday in a rematch of last year’s America East finals.

Senior guard Annie Warren, whose 31 points in those finals set a program record, again led all scorers with 15 points and went 7-for-8 from the free throw line. Graduate forward India Pagan added 13 points on 6-for-8 shooting.

“I’m pleased with today’s win on the road versus a good Maine team that is hard to beat at home,” head coach Ashley Langford said in a postgame press release. “Our defense and rebounding ultimately won the game.”

Stony Brook (11-2, 2-1 AE) and Maine (5-9, 2-2 AE) were expected to be the conference’s top contenders this season, but less than five minutes elapsed before the skill difference between the two teams was obvious. Pagan and Warren each made two early layups to help the Seawolves jump out to a 14-0 lead they never surrendered. 

Stony Brook ended the first quarter up 21-5 with Maine shooting .077 from the field.

“We started the game very focused, which we’ve been talking about as a team,” Langford said.

The Seawolves led by as much as 21 points during the second quarter and headed into halftime with a 33-14 lead. 

Their defense continued the pressure from there, led by junior guard Gigi Gonzalez’s career-high four steals and Pagan’s eight rebounds. Pagan now has 79 rebounds this season, 14 more than any other Stony Brook player.

Maine sophomore guard Olivia Rockwood opened the fourth quarter with a 3-pointer to cut the Seawolves’ lead to eight, but graduate forward Leighah-Amori Wool responded with two 3-pointers in under a minute to essentially ice the game. She finished with 12 points, reaching double digits for the third straight game.

Owners of the conference’s top-ranked offense, Stony Brook returns home this Wednesday to face the Vermont Catamounts.