Kanye West is “Gone” – Meet Ye

Kanye West performs at The Museum of Modern Art’s annual Party in the Garden benefit in 2011. The rapper has recently legally changed his name to “Ye”. JASON PERSSE/FLICKR VIA CC BY-SA 2.0

Say goodbye to Kanye West.

The Chicago rapper famously recognized as Kanye Omari West has legally changed his name to “Ye.” The musician alluded to this change back in 2018, months after releasing his eighth studio album, “ye.” 

He made the announcement through Twitter saying “the being formally known as Kanye West. I am YE.”

On Monday, Oct. 18, Judge Michelle Williams officially granted the name change after Ye filed the request back in August of 2021.

The “Donda” rapper has been known for his shocking statements and actions, but this name change may not come as a surprise to some. 

In 2019, the “Louis Vuitton Don” said he was going to legally change his name to “Christian Genius Billionaire Kanye West” for a year at ​the fifth annual Fast Company Innovation Festival in New York. 

Fans have informally known the now “Reborn” rapper as “Ye” and “Yeezy” for years, but this legal change, made for “personal reasons,” only adds to the mystery formerly known as Mr. West. 

Ye also has a new haircut to go along with his new name. Fans are confused by the patchy style, joking that the rapper might have let one of his young children cut his hair. 

In memory of “the old Kanye,” here’s a list of The Statesman staff’s favorite songs by Ye.