VP of Research Dead at 70

Jack Marburger

John H. Marburger III, Stony Brook University’s third president and physics professor who advised against the construction of Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant proposal and White House Office of Science and Technology, died Thursday in his home in the company of his family,  according to university officials. He was 70 years old.

Details of his death has not been announced. Marburger had been battling lymphoma.

“He was a man of extraordinary energy, a man who loved solving problems both scientific and administrative, a man of action, who was also thoughtful, contemplative, and very strategic,” said current university president Samuel L. Stanley, Jr. in a email to the campus community.

Currently, Marburger had been serving as the Vice President of Research at Stony Brook University.

In lieu of flowers, the Marburger family requests that memorial gifts in Marburger’s name be directed to the John H. Marburger, III Memorial Fund.

The Fund will support fellowships for women undertaking graduate study in the physical sciences, engineering or mathematics; fellowships for graduate students in music performance; and the Pollock/Krasner House.

Please contact the Office of Advancement at 631-632-6300 for more information.

[nggallery id=5]