Joe Spallina reaches extension to remain with Stony Brook through 2026

Stony Brook women’s lacrosse head coach Joe Spallina in the 2021 America East Championship game against Albany on May 8. Stony Brook Athletics announced on Sept. 22 that Spallina’s contract was extended through 2026. ETHAN TAM/THE STATESMAN

Joe Spallina built the Stony Brook women’s lacrosse team into the national powerhouse they are today, and he will remain as the head of the program he developed for another five seasons.

On Wednesday, Sept. 22, the Stony Brook athletic department announced that it had reached an agreement to extend Spallina through 2026. In his ten seasons as Stony Brook’s head coach, Spallina owns an eye-catching 159-30 overall record (.841 winning percentage),  including a near-perfect 55-2 mark (.965) in America East conference play. 

“I want to thank our incredible athletic director Shawn Heilbron, deputy director of athletics Rob Emmerich and University President Maurie McInnis for their unyielding support,” Spallina said in a press release. “This type of extension illustrates how important lacrosse is at Stony Brook and my family and I are extremely grateful. Long Island is who we are and building a Power Five women’s lacrosse program that is a consistent top 10 presence in the country has proven it can be done at any level.”

Including postseason competition, Stony Brook has won 54 consecutive games against America East teams. Currently, this is the longest active winning streak by one team versus conference opponents among all Division I sports, an honor granted to the Seawolves after Oklahoma softball saw its 65-game win streak against the Big 12 snapped earlier in 2021

Under Spallina, Stony Brook has won eight consecutive America East championships and appeared in eight consecutive NCAA Tournaments, reaching the quarterfinals three times in the last four seasons. 

“Year after year, this program exemplifies what it takes to be elite and that is something I am very proud of,” Spallina said. “Our student-athletes are off the charts on and off the field and success doesn’t happen by mistake. The best is still yet to come for Stony Brook Women’s Lacrosse and I am truly honored to be leading the charge in our quest for a national championship.”

In 2021, the Seawolves finished 16-3 and saw their season end to No. 1-ranked North Carolina in the quarterfinals after the Tar Heels came back late to stave off Stony Brook’s upset bid. The Seawolves are still looking for their first Final Four appearance and national title.

“Joe is one of the nation’s truly elite coaches who has built our women’s lacrosse program into a perennial top 10 team and national championship contender,” Director of Athletics Shawn Heilbron said. “His energy, passion and commitment are unmatched, and I’m beyond excited about the future. Given his success, countless opportunities come his way every year but he is 100 percent committed to Stony Brook and the student-athletes who play for him.”

During the offseason, Spallina’s name was linked to rumblings revolving the head coaching vacancy at Syracuse, where his son Joey, the number-one high school prospect in the nation, and Jake, have committed.

“He built this program from the ground up and has remained absolutely relentless in his pursuit of bringing a title to Long Island,” Heilbron said.