How Heroes Are Formed: Roth Regatta Boat Design

Graduate mechanical engineering student Anthony DeFilippo emerges from the Batmobile boat on a one-man bike kayak during the middle segment of his team's heat in the Regatta. (Photo Credit: Aleef Rahman)

Roth Pond was the stomping ground of hundreds of students and numerous diverse and unique cardboard boats on May 6.

Some boats were particularly intricate and interesting, such as those created by the Equestrian Team and the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers.

The Equestrian Team, which competed with a horse-shaped boat last year, created comic book superhero Aquaman on a seahorse for this year’s race.

According to junior engineering science major and Equestrian Team member Kayleigh Reamy, the boat took about a week to build.

“We didn’t put in too much time until Wednesday into Thursday into Friday,” Reamy said.

The standout boat of the event, however, seemed to be the one created by the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers. The engineers built a boat that was actually car-like. Not only did it have wheels, it had a removable motorcycle-like middle that was used by the team to gain an edge against competitors.

Team members who were rowing the boat sat inside the cardboard structure, and one of the team members was pushed out on the middle piece about halfway across the pond.

The boat did not win, but it was a spectacle and the design was noticeably different from and more advanced than that of anyone else.

“This is our last year at Stony Brook, so we wanted it to be awesome,” said Anthony DeFilippo, a graduate student studying mechanical engineering.

According to DeFilippo, the team used computer-aided design software to formulate a plan. After designing the boat, the team began to actually build it, beginning with a raft for a base.

The more streamlined boats seemed to have the true competitive edge, however, as canoe and kayak-shaped boats seemed to have an easier time propelling themselves across the pond.