No. 6 Women’s Lacrosse demolishes Hartford, remains perfect in league play

Graduate midfielder Ally Kennedy in a game against USC on Feb. 23. She led the team with four goals in a game against Hartford on March 28. SARA RUBERG/THE STATESMAN

The Stony Brook women’s lacrosse team’s winning streak against America East opponents was never in jeopardy when the team travelled to Connecticut on Saturday, March 28 to face the Hartford Hawks. The Seawolves destroyed the Hawks 19-1, with their 18-goal margin of victory the largest since a 20-2 beatdown over Vermont in 2018. 

“Today was a great day for us,” head coach Joe Spallina said in a press release. “We got to use our entire roster, and little by little our younger players are really starting to figure things out. The contributions are coming from everywhere.”

Stony Brook scored the first 17 goals of the game before Hartford finally got on the board with 15:35 remaining in the second half. The Seawolves activated the running clock a little more than halfway through the first half and took a 14-0 lead entering the break.

Graduate midfielder Ally Kennedy led the way with four goals, while senior attacker Bridget Considine got her second consecutive hat trick. The young midfielder duo of sophomore Kira Accetella and freshman Ellie Masera each had their first career hat tricks.

Freshman midfielder Jaden Hampel, graduate attacker Taryn Ohlmiller, sophomore attacker Kailyn Hart, senior midfielder Sarah Pulis and senior attacker Rebecca Kinsley all had one goal a piece. Kinsley scored her first goal since 2018.

Considine scored the first goal of the game 46 seconds in as well as the second goal of the game a little over a minute later. Of the Seawolves’ 19 goals, 10 of them were assisted.

Meanwhile, on the defensive end, sophomore goalkeeper Hayley Hunt got the nod to start in the cage and put up a stellar 90% save rate. It was Hunt’s second career start at goalie in place of redshirt senior Kameron Halsall.

In dominating fashion, the Seawolves earned their sixth straight victory and extended their win streak over America East opponents to 47 games. Stony Brook will get a chance to continue its momentum on Saturday, April 3, when the team hits the road again to face the Vermont Catamounts at 11 a.m.