Quelly Woo is bringing “Tactical Pressure” to the drill music scene

The official cover from the EP “Tactical Pressure” by Quelly Woo found on Genius. The EP will be released on April 2. PUBLIC DOMAIN

Brooklyn drill artist Quelly Woo is releasing his first EP, titled “Tactical Pressure,” on April 2. The highly anticipated EP follows the release of his singles “Hot Winter,” “Pain into Passion,” and “Bacc Out,” which The Fader has dubbed as “a funereal smackdown anthem.” 

Native to Canarsie, Brooklyn, the talented Quelly Woo is also known as “Mr. TP.”  The artist said that in his neighborhood, the term “TP” is recognized as a reminder to “think positive.” Quelly’s nickname reflects his calm energy that radiates in his first single, “TP.”  

Supported by artists like Sheff G, Lil Tecca, Fivio Foreign and Rowdy Rebel, it is obvious that Quelly Woo is a huge talent with a promising future. With the excitement surrounding the upcoming release of Quelly’s EP with Equity Distribution, it is safe to agree with RapCaviar in saying, “Woo York is in good hands.”

Quelly Woo sat down with The Statesman to talk about his musical inspirations, his creative approach and what we all can expect from “Tactical Pressure” and his future projects. 

The Statesman: RapCaviar has dubbed you as “one of the hottest rappers in the Brooklyn Drill scene right now.” What does that mean to you?

Quelly Woo: I really appreciate that recognition from them. It shows me that I got potential and there’s people watching so I just gotta work harder and keep working. It’s very motivating to see that. 

Has the COVID-19 pandemic affected how you write your music or your creative process?

One thing about me, I don’t even write any music. I just go to the studio and find the beat while I’m there. Then I make the song one time. The pandemic definitely did [have an effect] because I was in the house more listening to a lot more beats and stuff like that. 

What drew you to the drill music genre as opposed to other styles of rap?

I love all styles of music. The drill music, especially around this time, is taking over. I like the energy and feeling you get from hearing those types of beats and the bars. That’s really why, but I got a couple R&B tracks I’ve been working on. That’s what I’m really trying to expand on, but for now, the drill is really what’s up. 

Who are your biggest musical inspirations?

I remember early on, especially in 2015 or 2014, I was bumpin’ a lot of G Herbo, Sheff G and Sleepy Hallow; those are two big inspirations. There’s times when I was really down and their music just helped me keep my head up. And Pop Smoke, for a fact, is a big inspiration, there’s a lot of influence from him.  

What are your favorite songs from your EP and what inspired them?

My favorite songs are “TNM (Tomorrow Never Promised)” and “THE HOOD.” “TNM” is me just talking about my life, what I’ve been through in life, and what’s going on. When you hear the songs, you’re gonna hear the stories and the feelings behind them.  

What do you want people to take away from your music?

I hope they can relate to the things I’m talking about and develop some type of connection with my music. I want people to be able to listen to my music when they’re feeling a certain way. I want my music to be a way for somebody to escape. 

What’s next for you after “Tactical Pressure” is released?

I’m gonna keep working. After this EP, to be honest, I don’t know what’s gonna come of it. So, I’m gonna keep working, probably on another tape, and keep trying to get music out there. I just hope people hear this tape and see my potential and hear my talent. And I’ll continue to grow from there.