Stony Brook men’s soccer gets first win of season against NJIT

Redshirt-senior midfielder Gabriel Fernandes dribbles the ball down the field during a game against Sacred Heart in October 2017. Fernandes scored in the fifth minute on March 12 in a game against NJIT. ZACHARY DYER/STATESMAN FILE

In its second game of conference play, the Stony Brook men’s soccer team defeated America East newcomers, NJIT. The Seawolves played a tremendous match, going up 2-0 in the first half on Friday, March 12. The Seawolves fought to the very end, winning their first game of the season and improving to 1-2-1 (1-0-1 AE).

Sophomore goalkeeper Edmond Kaiser made three saves to produce his second consecutive shutout.

“It was a really good performance on all levels today,” head coach Ryan Anatol said in a postgame press release. “We started well and were dangerous in the attack. We also defended really well when needed and got a deserved clean sheet.”

The Seawolves came out hot in the first half with a shot on target, hitting the crossbar and going back into play before being cleared out for a corner in the fifth minute. Stemming from the corner, redshirt-senior midfielder Gabriel Fernandes was able to get a goal off a header, putting the Seawolves up 1-0 in the fifth minute.

Moments later, Stony Brook was able to win another corner in the eighth minute. Freshman forward Aki Solvason scored his third goal of the season after it bounced around in the box, hitting the far post. Freshman forward Sean Towey earned the assist, the first of his career.

In just under ten minutes, the Seawolves already had four shots, and they were able to convert two of them. Stony Brook had complete control in the first half, dominating NJIT in just about every aspect of play.

NJIT came out at the start of the first half ready to make a comeback. They grew more confident, going up the field and putting constant pressure on the Seawolves backline. 

In the 67th minute, NJIT senior forward Regsan Watkins was isolated against Kaiser but failed to convert, shooting the ball wide far post. 

The Seawolves will play their next match at home against the New Hampshire Wildcats on Friday, March 19 at 1 p.m.