Stony Brook men’s soccer battles to scoreless tie against UMBC

Redshirt-senior midfielder Gabriel Fernandes dribbles the ball down the field during a game against Sacred Heart in October 2017. Fernandes had the first shot of the game against UMBC on Friday, March 5, but it was saved. ZACHARY DYER/STATESMAN FILE

In an entertaining America East opener, the Stony Brook men’s soccer team fought to the very end against UMBC on Friday, March 5 at home on a windy Long Island day at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium. The Seawolves played a great match, but the game ended in a 0-0 tie after two 10-minute overtime periods. The draw brought Stony Brook’s record to 0-2-1.

Sophomore goalkeeper Edmond Kaiser was key to holding UMBC scoreless, blocking 10 shots on goal. Stony Brook managed only five shots on goal.

The Seawolves dominated the start of the first half, winning the time of possession battle. In the fifth minute, redshirt-senior midfielder Gabriel Fernandes had the first shot on target of the game, but it was saved by UMBC keeper Quantrell Jones. 

Stony Brook continued attacking down the middle, finding the open space UMBC kept leaving. The Seawolves worked nicely going into the final third of the field but failed to convert when it was needed most.

In the closing minutes of the first half, UMBC took control of the game. They were able to counter and put pressure on the Seawolves, but did not manage to score.

At the start of the second half, UMBC came out blazing with a rocket of a shot from sophomore midfielder/forward Dadi Ingason in the 46th minute, which barely went over the crossbar. 

During halftime, UMBC realized that they were leaving gaps in the middle of the field, and adjusted their second-half game plan accordingly. That change was effective in shutting down the Seawolves’ offense, keeping the rest of the game scoreless.

The match opened up in the second half for both teams attacking back and forth. The Seawolves dodged a bullet after an apparent UMBC goal in the 64th minute was reversed by an offside penalty.

In the 74th minute, Jones made an incredible save with his foot after a shot by freshman forward Aki Solvason, giving the Seawolves a corner kick. Stemming from the corner, the Seawolves had a pinball match kicking the ball in the box, but could not convert before being cleared by a UMBC player.

Despite an exciting second half, both teams could not get on the scoreboard. With a goalless game, the Seawolves and UMBC went on to play a golden goal sudden-death overtime to determine a winner of the game. 

Both teams entered overtime very energetic and ready to win, but neither team’s defense faltered. Stony Brook showed the wear and tear of the game with increasingly sloppy play, committing four fouls in the last six minutes of the first overtime period.

The Seawolves have now played 226 consecutive minutes without a goal. Their next game will be on Friday, March 12, against the NJIT Highlanders.