Stony Brook men’s soccer falls to 0-2 after rainy defeat at Hofstra

Part of the Stony Brook men’s soccer team in a game against Siena last season. This season, the Seawolves are 0-2. BERNARD SANCHEZ/STATESMAN FILE

The Stony Brook men’s soccer team played its second game of the season against the Hofstra Pride on Sunday, Feb. 28. The Seawolves played at Hempstead, New York and fought hard against the Pride, considering the harsh rain. They ultimately came up short in a 4-1 defeat as Stony Brook drops to 0-2 on the season.

At the start of the first half, both teams came out attacking back and forth. The Pride took the early lead with a tap-in from junior midfielder Joe Wright at the 12-minute mark of the game which stemmed from a corner kick.

The Seawolves held their ground with a shot on goal in the 22nd minute. In a very high-intensity game, both teams continued to put pressure on the opposing team’s backline.

With four minutes left in the first half, the Pride won themselves a free kick on top of the 18-yard line that would soon haunt the Seawolves. The Pride’s senior midfielder, Jack Nuttall, ripped a low-driven shot that curled around the five-person wall bouncing right before beating the Seawolves’ keeper far post.

Stony Brook sophomore goalkeeper Curtis Copenhaver made his collegiate debut in the second half, replacing fellow sophomore goalie Edmond Kaiser, who was pulled after allowing two goals and saving just one in the first half.

The Pride came out hot during the start of the second half, scoring in the 49th minute from a volley inside the penalty box by junior forward/midfielder Luca Tausch. 

The Seawolves managed to score a goal in the 87th minute with a magical finish from freshman forward Aki Solvason. It was Solvason’s second goal of the season.

A minute later, the Pride responded with another goal stemming from a free kick. Senior forward Matthew Vowinkel’s header was able to barely beat the Seawolves’ keeper, making the score 4-1.

Stony Brook, still searching for its first win, will make its home debut against UMBC on Friday, March 5 at 1 p.m.