Soccer Ties Quinnipiac In Double OT

This time around, the Seawolves managed to allow only one goal against Quinnipiac.

But it still wasn’t enough. Coming off of a disappointing weekend in Evansville, Stony Brook took a resilient Quinnipiac Bobcats team to double overtime, finishing the game at 1-1.

Freshman midfielder Kyle Schlesinger provided the goal for Stony Brook, who have had little trouble finding the back of the net this season but plenty in keeping its opponents from doing the same.

Quinnipiac was reduced to 10 men with a little under six minutes to go in the final period of extra time when Durval Pereira was given his marching orders following a contentious couple minutes in overtime.

Stony Brook failed to take advantage of the extra man, however, as its high-flying attack sputtered in overtime, failing to produce the winning tally.

The Seawolves had won just one game out of eight this fall, a record that they were looking to improve when they rolled into Hamden, Conn., yesterday.

Quinnipiac struck first just twenty minutes into the game, when Dwayne Mars headed a cross into the upper portion of the net, beating Stony Brook goalkeeper Anthony Rogic.

But one goal was not enough to hold off a hungry Seawolves side that hasn’t tasted victory since its September 6 meeting with Bryant.

Just 23 minutes later the visitors struck back, with Schlesinger burying the ball in the upper left corner of the net after moving across the box. The goal was Schlesinger’s first of the year and leveled the score at 1-1 going into the halftime break.

Smelling blood, the Seawolves kept pressure on the hosts for the rest of the match, outshooting the Bobcats 28-8, but their efforts fell just short, and Stony Brook saw the match end even for the second time this year.

Rogic was forced into only four saves, perhaps a more significant statistic than the goal scored for a Stony Brook team that conceded a shocking seven times in two games last weekend. Last season, the team was held scoreless on 11 different occasions, while this year it has been blanked only twice. In just nine games so far, though, the Seawolves have been outscored by a 19-12 margin.

Keeping the opponents off the score sheet is sure to be the focus at training this week as the Seawolves prepare to take on Adelphi at home on Sept. 26. Saturday’s fixture is the last non-conference game for Stony Brook before it begins America East play against Boston University on Oct. 3.