A Night of Entertainment: Student Union Hosts Semester’s Last RockYoFaceCase and Year’s 2nd MAMA Show

Photo Credit: Ezra Margono

This semester’s final RockYoFaceCase event took place last Monday alongside the MAMA Art Show at the Stony Brook University Student Union.

RockYoFaceCase ended its second year-long concert series with free cake, balloons and six bands: 3dB, WreQ.one & Adonis hosted by Ben’Jammin, Peyote, Spirit People, Knick Knack & The Paddy Whacks and Lawn Chair Bombers.

Next door, in the Union Ballroom, the MAMA Art Show attracted students who were curious to see what the show was about.

The show, which features student art, was the university’s second to be put on by the Undergraduate Student Government and the Fine Arts Organization. The show featured artwork that adhered to an urban theme, along with free popcorn and pizza.

Senior health science major Amandeep Nagpal, who contributed a compilation of digital photographs to the show, said that he was pleased that the show gave students an opportunity to express themselves despite the fact that Stony Brook is not known for its art department. He also said that he was happy with student involvement.

“I wanted to display my photos one more time before I go,” said Nagpal, who is set to graduate this spring.

According to Nagpal, the show attracts many people because it is in the Union and is convenient.

“I’m just happy because people are actually interested,” Nagpal said.

Freshman studio art major Patricia Arnedo also had a piece displayed in the show.

Arnedo’s piece was a sculpture of a hand making the shape of a gun. According to Arnedo, it was meant to depict “humans as a weapon” and to convey the idea that when one hurts others, he or she is really hurting him or herself.

The hand, which Arnedo originally made for a sculpture class project, is a wire infrastructure wrapped in plaster bandage.

Like Nagpal, Arnedo was also impressed with the attendance of the show. When asked, she said that the best part was “that people are so interested in it, and that so many people come.”

The two events coexisted, creating an expressive and exciting environment for students to visit that night and augmenting each other to prove that Stony Brook does have a creative side.