Extra Points: Edwards Drops the Ball, On and Off the Field

Column as I see ’em’hellip;

* Braylon Edwards will not make a lick of difference to the New York Jets. First of all, you usually trade for receivers that don’t drop the ball. Second, it will be even harder for him to catch the ball when he gets suspended for punching LeBron James’ 130-pound friend, Edward Givens, outside a Cleveland nightclub last Sunday.

*A lot of people aren’t surprised Stony Brook football won its homecoming. But, although the Blue Hose played in Division II until 2007, they have transitioned well into Division I-AA. Presbyterian was just over .500 in its first D-1 year in 2007, and beat eventual champion Liberty last season. Stony Brook needed to take care of business in that game, and did so.

*That being said, Stony Brook hasn’t won away from home this year. They would do well to start that this Saturday against the North Dakota Fighting Sioux (2-2) in the 47th annual Potato Bowl. The Seawolves will be looking to mash a six-game Potato Bowl winning streak for the Fighting Sioux.

*The New York Yankees will win the World Series. They’re too good to not. There’s no other option.

*The Stony Brook men’s soccer team needs to find a way to keep the ball out of the back of its own net. In the past three games, they have conceded seven goals for an average of 2.3 per game. During the same amount of time, the team has only scored once. Even more worrying, the goal came from a defender, senior Damion Brown, who also led the team in shots Wednesday against UMBC.

* The women’s soccer team cannot stop winning at the moment. The win against UMBC Thursday night continues the club’s undefeated America East Conference run. And if the ladies win again against Vermont on Oct. 11, it would set up an incredibly exciting match on Oct. 15 at home against Boston University. The Terriers defeated the women last year to ruin Stony Brook’s America East title hopes. The Stony Brook-Boston University matchup could be a preview of what the America East tournament final will look like.

* This is all after the women suffered through a brutal non-conference schedule, during which they won only one game. The men also had a difficult non-conference schedule, but have not had the America East success the women have had.

* Women’s volleyball is the hottest team on campus, having won seven straight.

* That makes club ice hockey the coolest team on campus. The team won its home opener against Villanova, 6-2, in front of 500 fans forced to make the trek down 347 to the Rinx. Ice hockey is ranked 14th in the nation amongst club teams, but still has not been made an NCAA sport at Stony Brook. Their next home game is Oct. 17 against Towson.