Men’s Soccer Struggles at UMBC

The Stony Brook men’s soccer team dropped its second straight America East contest Wednesday night, falling to the #25 UMBC Retrievers, 2-0.

Playing its second top-25 team in as many games, Stony Brook’s attack again failed to find the scoresheet, producing only seven shots. The Seawolves had four shots on goal. Sophomore Wilber Bonilla (Brentwood, N.Y.) and senior Damion Brown (Kingston, Jamaica) tied for the team lead in shots with two each.

Forward Andrew Bulls of UMBC, who leads the NCAA in goals scored with 14, produced the game-winner in the 13th minute. Bulls has scored in all 11 games for the 10-1-0 (1-1-0) Retrievers.

Stony Brook has not won since its Sept. 6 contest against Bryant, and has not scored a goal since its Sept. 26 defeat at the hands of Adelphi. In its last three matches, the team has allowed seven goals while scoring just once. The goal came on a header from the senior defender Brown.

The Seawolves will be looking to end their week on a positive note when they face the Binghamton Bearcats this Saturday. Binghamton (6-4-1, 1-0-0) is coming off of a 2-1 victory over Albany in its conference opener. The match against the Bearcats is set to kick off at 7 p.m. at Lavalle Stadium.