Women’s Soccer Wins Thriller

Junior Debbie Aller (Stony Brook, N.Y.) scored with just 30 seconds left in the second period of overtime to lift the Seawolves over the host Yale Bulldogs in a thriller, 2-1.

The goal came on a scramble in front of the net after a free kick from sophomore Dana Adamkiewicz (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y.). Aller dug it out and stuck the ball in the net, completing the Stony Brook comeback.

Following a scoreless first half, the Bulldogs took the lead just seven minutes after the break when junior Becky Brown found net after receiving a cutting through-ball from senior Megan Ashforth.

But the Seawolves” Taryn Schoenbeck (Newark, Del.) struck back just ten minutes later, putting Stony Brook on even terms and forcing the game into overtime.

Schoenbeck had a chance to be the hero four minutes into the second overtime but her effort rang off the crossbar.

Aller’s goal provided the Seawolves with their first overtime win of the season.’ The game was the third straight contest and fourth of the year that has required overtime to try and find a winner. Stony Brook is now 1-2-1 in extra periods this fall.

The Seawolves return home at 7 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 18 as they take on Sacred Heart at Lavalle Stadium.