Men’s Soccer Falls In Overtime

A penalty from freshman Berian Gobeil (Montreal, Quebec) pulled the Seawolves level in the 89th minute of play, only for the game to slip away in the sixth minute of overtime as Stony Brook fell to Long Island University, 2-1.

Gobeil put the goalkeeper the wrong way on the penalty kick, bringing the score to 1-1 with just over a minute to play. The converted spotkick was his third goal of the season, tying him for the team lead.

Freshman Jakeem Johnson (Montclair, N.J.) scored both goals for the Blackbirds. In the 77th minute, he cut in from the sideline and finished from 18 yards out.

His second and deciding goal came 5:30 into the first period of overtime, when Johnson filched a Stony Brook goal kick and walked in, scoring from 10 yards.

Stony Brook outshot LIU by a 15-11 margin. Freshman goalkeeper Stefan Manz (Bronx, N.Y.) had a career-high five saves.

The loss, which kicked off a four-game road trip, was the second straight for the Seawolves, and also their second consecutive one-goal loss.

Stony Brook next travels to Evansville, Ind., to participate in the Aces Invitational tournament on Sept. 18 and 20.