Volleyball Wins Third Straight

The Seawolves won their third straight game Tuesday night, handling the Manhattan Jaspers in straight sets to improve their overall record to 5-8. Recording its third sweep of the season, the Stony Brook volleyball team easily grabbed the road victory, winning 25-17, 25-21, and 25-21.

As usual, the Seawolves relied on the stellar play from junior Ashley Headen (Alexandria, VA.) and senior Harmonie Calinda (Huntington, NY.). Both delivered.

Stony Brook’s current athlete of the week, Headen continued her hot streak by collecting 10 kills and protecting the net. Also, after a sore knee kept her out of the previous contest, Calinda returned to lead the Seawolves with 14 kills. The road team also got 11 digs from senior Lisa Doremus (Glendale, AZ.).

The first set began with two kills from Headen, helping the Seawolves to a quick 2-0 lead. But the Jaspers bounced back and built a 5-3 edge, kicking off a series of lead changes. Stony Brook finally managed to pull away by scoring eight straight points, building a 22-13 cushion. Three aces from freshman Corinne Perry (Northport, NY.) sealed the deal, giving the road team the first set win.

In the second, the Seawolves used a series of kills to build an early 5-1 bulge. Manhattan managed to trim the gap to two, making it 9-7. But Stony Brook kept the pressure on, hitting .355 percent to pick up the 25-21 win.

Despite the momentum, the Seawolves stumbled into a 0-4 hole to begin the third set. After Stony Brook bounced back to trim it to just one at 4-3, the Jaspers unleashed another quick spurring spurt, this time using a five point scoring run to go ahead 11-10. The game’s intensity heightened as both teams battled and found themselves all tied up at 18. Sloppy crunch time play from Manhattan and another Headen kill ensued, giving the visiting Seawolves a small three point lead. It was all they needed, as they held on for the close win.

With the sweep, the Seawolves pick up their first three game winning streak of the season. They will try to extend it when they take on Brown and Holy Cross this Friday and Saturday, at the Brown Invitational in Providence, Rhode Island. Friday’s game is at 5:00 p.m. and Saturday’s first serve is slated for 12:00 p.m.