Men’s basketball wins home opener

Freshman forward Anthony Mayo throws down against Mount Ida on Sunday (Kenneth Ho/The Statesman)

The Stony Brook University men’s basketball team soundly defeated the Mount Ida Mustangs, 80-43, in its first home game of the season, bringing its dominance at Pritchard gymnasium from last season to the present.

Junior Bryan Dougher (Scotch Plains, N.J.) scored 21 second-half points for Stony Brook. The Seawolves held Mount Ida to 14 points in that span.

It is the team’s second game in a stretch of four games in seven days.

“You’ve got to play with the schedule given to you,” said head coach Steve Pikiell. “We’ve got a lot of games in a short period of time. We hope that it prepares us for the tournament.”

Pikiell has a whole troop of young players to dish out minutes to. He says that he is planning to develop a system where minutes will be evenly distributed to players who have proven themselves during the course of the season.

“I want to get to an eight- or nine-man rotation,” he said after the game. “We’ll be fine. We’re not playing UConn every night.”

After struggling down underneath the basket in their season-opening 79-52 loss to the University of Connecticut Huskies on Friday, the Seawolves offensive rebounding struggles carried into their game in front of their basketball-starved fans. Stony Brook grabbed its first offensive rebound approximately five minutes in.

“We’ve got to become a good rebounding team,” Pikiell said. “We have to gain rebounds as a team and do a better job boxing out.”

Mount Ida jumped out to an early lead, 8-2, but the Seawolves fought back. The two teams exchanged the lead for the rest of the first half. For the half, junior Al Rapier (Chicago, Ill.) had the lead in points with eight and a share of the lead in rebounds with six, tied with junior Dallas Joyner (Norfolk, Va.).

With the seconds ticking down at the end of the first half, freshman Anthony Jackson (Columbus, Ohio) snatched five quick points in 30 seconds to give Stony Brook a 34-29 lead.

Pikiell must’ve said the magic words during halftime, for the Seawolves scored the first 11 points of the second half.

Stony Brook was firing on all cylinders, but no one so much as Dougher.

“Bryan missed all of his shots in the first half and made all of them in the second half,” said Pikiell.

Dougher, who had three points off of free throws in the first half, sent forth a multitude of three-point-shots. He made six three-pointers in the second half and had 24 points overall. He got the crowd progressively more excited as he knocked down three after three. Six is two fewer than his career high against Boston University on Jan. 2 , 2010, last season.

Dougher wasn’t the only one who performed exceptionally.

Freshman Anthony Mayo (Philadelphia, Pa.) was a stalwart on the defense, recording four blocks. The Seawolves collective defense allowed only 14 points to Mount Ida in the second half.

The Seawolves will play their next game at 6 a.m. on Tuesday morning at Monmouth in West Long Branch, N.J.  The game will be televised on ESPN.