Stony Brook University Community Walks for Beauty

People from Stony Brook and surrounding communities, got an early start Sunday morning for the 17th annual Walk for Beauty, Walk for Life raising money for breast cancer awareness and research.

Despite a low temperature, spirits couldn’t have been higher amongst those attending the event in the Stony Brook Village. Everyone from administrators to walkers conveyed their enthusiasm with good cheer expressed in their voices or their applause for those in attendance who survived breast cancer.

“We are going to raise funds to help cancer patients, raise money for breast cancer research and for the Stony Brook school of Medicine,” said Yvonne Spreckels, director of Community Relations at Stony Brook University Hospital.

For the first time in the event’s history, four survivors of breast cancer were honored before the start of the walk. Instead of walking, they traveled around in a pink Cadillac.

“I’d say thank you to everyone who came today and especially Stony Brook University for being so supportive,” said Lorraine Pace, who was one of the honorees in the Cadillac.

Pace is the founder and co-president of Breast Cancer Help Inc., an organization which advocates for an increase in research into the cause, treatment and cure of breast cancer.

Those participating in the walk had the choice between a 4 kilometer or 6 kilometer walk. Both courses led around the Stony Brook village. The 6 kilometer course led walkers by Avalon park. Avalon park is a nature preserve, founded by the Paul Simons Foundation and features a mixture of trails, forests and plains.

Congressman Tim Bishop and New York State Senator John Flanagan were present. Sen. Flanagan recently secured a $100,000 grant for St. Catherine of Siena Medical Center to help expand their cardiac services.

According to Spreckels, the money collected over the years has definatley yielded results. “Survivor ship of all cancers has tripled in the last 30 years.” Ensuing contributions and future research will only help these numbers go up.