Men’s soccer drops double-OT decision to Colgate

Freshman Will Casey’s (Setauket, N.Y.) first college goal against Lafayette on Friday wasn’t enough to give the Seawolves a win. Neither was redshirt freshman Marc Godelman’s (Paramus, N.J.) first one this afternoon against the Colgate Raiders, who rallied late to beat Stony Brook 2-1 in double overtime.

The Seawolves (1-2-0) showed defensive prowess and maintained their 1-0 lead for a majority of the game, holding off the opposition until the 89’ when Colgate’s (1-0-1) Steven Miller capitalized on a pass from Jeff Leach to tie. Stony Brook’s goal was the third straight scored in the second-half. Godelman took a through ball near midfield from sophomore Cristian Quevedo (Smithtown, N.Y.) and beat Raiders goalie Grant Reed for the lead.

Colgate’s Mike Reese put in the game-winning goal as the ball was headed inside the box.

Godelman led the Seawolves with three shots on goal. Sophomore Danny Bonomini (Holbrook, N.Y.) made five saves in his second career start, three in the first overtime. He made a save 43 seconds into the second overtime to stop the comeback, but it came up short moments later when Reese won the game for the Raiders.

The Seawolves continue non-conference play at South Florida on Tuesday night at 7:30 p.m.