Tommy Brenton Comes Up Short In Fan’s Choice Poll

His late-game basket against Vermont last week may have secured Stony Brook’s first ever America East regular-season title, but it wasn’t enough to secure sophomore Tommy Brenton (Columbia, Md.) the 2010 America East Fan’s Choice Player of the Year award.

Brenton, who lead the America East in rebounding (9.6 per game), lost out to two-time America East Kevin Roberson Player of the Year Marqus Blakely of Vermont by less than one percent of the 3,500 total votes.

Blakely not only finished behind Brenton in America East rebounding (9.1 per game), but also finished the season second in scoring (17.4 per game), fourth in assists (3.7 per game) and first in both steals (2.6 per game) and blocks (1.9 per game).

Although he came up short this time, the budding 6-foot-5-inch guard, whom coach Steve Pikiell has noted for his all-around play, still has two years left not only to sway the fans, but also to help the Seawolves capture another title.

“He’s very unselfish, very unselfish,” Pikiell said after the clincher against Vermont. “So, I’m pleased that we have him for another couple of years.”