Women’s Basketball Wins on Senior Night

The Stony Brook women’s basketball team (9-19, 7-9) finished off the regular season on a positive note Saturday, defeating the UMBC Retrievers (13-16, 7-9) by a comfortable 59-48 score. The night was Women’s Basketball Coaches Association’s Pink Zone game, and the Seawolves donned pink uniforms in support of breast cancer awareness.

​It was the last time that Seawolves fans would see seniors Joia Daniels (Silver Springs, Md.) and Crystal Rushin (Valley Stream, N.Y.), who finished with six and four points respectively, take the court at Pritchard Gymnasium.

​“It was great to send them out with a win,” Head Coach Michele Cherry said after the game.

UMBC secured the tip-off, but neither team got off to a fast start.

Five minutes into the game, the score was still 8-6 in favor of the Retrievers.

​Early on, Stony Brook allowed UMBC to establish a strong presence inside. The Retrievers scored 12 points in the paint in the first half.

But ​the Seawolves did not sit idly by.

They fought their way back into the game thanks to 15 first-half points from junior forward Kirsten Jeter (Elmont, N.Y.), who would go on to finish with 22 points. Jeter’s season and career scoring highs have also come against UMBC.

After the halftime break, a more energized Seawolves team took the court for the start of the second period.

“We picked up our defensive intensity,” Coach Cherry said. “Gerda Gatling hit those couple of shots [two consecutive three-point shots]. That and Misha Horsey’s three were important. Everyone fed off of that.”

​Stony Brook forced key turnovers and converted those opportunities into points as the intensity continued to build in the crowd. The Seawolves got 15 points off turnovers, each generating a roar from the nearly 500 fans in attendance.

The Retrievers fought hard, but they couldn’t compete with the outstanding team play of Stony Brook.

​“We were sharing the ball. We had good ball movement,”  Coach Cherry said.

Midway through the second, junior guard Misha Horsey (Wyancote, Penn.) dazzled the crowd with a dish that eluded many Retriever hands to get to freshman forward Gerda Gatling (Woodbridge, Va.), who proceeded to nail her second consecutive bucket from downtown.

The final result was a good way for the team to finish the season and build momentum heading into the playoffs. “Everyone knows each other,” said Coach Cherry.

​When asked if this was the women’s best game of the season, Cherry responded, “It’s definitely the most satisfying. Every win is the best game of the season.”

The team now awaits final conference standings to see where they will be seeded when the championship tourney starts this weekend in Hartford.