Becoming Aware of Sexual Assault

While investigating sexual assault on campus, we found many of these attacksdo not happen while walking on-campus at night, but rather in the form of daterape. We also learned that many incidents go unreported.

Sexual assault is something everyone should be aware of, but especially collegestudents. The campus lighting in certain areas could definitely use some improvement,and students need to be conscious of the dangers of walking around campus lateat night. Students should also know that there are telephone lines placed instrategic areas where students can call security at ‘333’ if theyare being attacked.

Many of the sexual assaults, from what we’#146;ve found, transpire while hangingout in a club or bar. Date rape can occur if a woman fails to watch her drink,or even if she drinks too much. Someone can easily take advantage of peoplewhile they are not at their most alert state.

While many are wary about walking around campus at night, and should be, everyoneshould also be aware of the perils that come with going to bars and clubs. Sexualassault can happen when you least expect, which makes these places all the moredangerous. Anyone can slip something into a drink when the person isn’#146;tlooking. It is important to keep an eye out for these things.

A way to help prevent this problem is to surround yourself with trust-worthyfriends when you go out, especially if you are going to drink. Be responsibleand don’#146;t let your drink out of your sight.