Men’s Soccer suffers second straight loss

The Stony Brook men’s soccer team faltered in a 3-1 loss this Wednesday to the Iona Gaels. The loss was the team’s second of the season, giving Stony Brook a 1-2-1 record.

The Seawolves offense struck early but was unable to find the net after freshman midfielder Serge Gamwanya’s 25th minute goal. The Congo native’s goal was the first of his young Stony Brook career with senior midfielder Alejandro Fritz giving the assist.

After shutting out Central Connecticut State and Sacred Heart in the first two matches of the season, junior goalkeeper Jason Orban has allowed three goals in each of the last two games. Orban registered just two saves in the match.

After being shut out for the first 35 minutes of the match, Iona tied the score on a goal by sophomore defender Joshua Calderon. The match remained a tie until Brendan Reardon found the net in the 63rd minute, assisted by Daniel Huerta and Jordan Scarlett.

The Gaels struck quickly again after that, with Marcos Nunez scoring in the 66th minute of the match. Huerta and Luis Mendoza assisted the sophomore.

The Seawolves were forced to play a man short during their comeback effort, as the final 26 minutes of the match when freshman defender Rickel Dixon was given a red card, Stony Brook’s first of the season.

Stony Brook returns to LaValle Stadium on Sunday, when the Seawolves host the Harvard Crimson at 5 p.m..