Student Academic, Cocurricular Contributions Rewarded

The SAC Auditorium was packed Monday evening as students, faculty, staff andfamily joined together to support the honorees of the 20th annual UndergraduateRecognition Awards Ceremony.

The sounds of Schubert’#146;s Sonatine Opus 137 II, performed by PerformingArts Award winner Jill Jermyn, winner of and Benjamin Bynum, greeted guestsas they entered the auditorium. Once everyone was seated, Vice President ofStudent Affairs, Dr. Fred Preston initiated the ceremony.

Welcoming the audience and explaining the important role that the support ofa network of family and friends plays in a student’#146;s ability to achieve,Preston also emphasized his belief that in light of the events of September11 those willing to lead are of especially great importance in today’#146;sworld.

‘We need people who are interested in providing strong and competent leadershipnow more than ever,’ he said referring to the student winners as universityleaders. Preston then turned the crowd over to University President ShirleyStrum Kenny.

She, like Preston, emphasized the particular difficulties faced by studentsthis academic year as a result of the attacks of this fall. Kenny expressedher pride in the response of Stony Brook’#146;s students, faculty and staffto the attacks and their aftermath as well as her pride in the achievementsof the student award winners.

‘It’#146;s a great time of the year for those of us who have committedour lives to students,’ she said before presenting the five President’#146;sAwards for Excellence in Teaching.

Dean of Students Carmen Vasquez then announced the 101 student UndergraduateRecognition Award recipients. A 15-member committee comprised of primarily faculty,some staff and a student selected the winners from the nominations receivedearlier this semester. The awards were granted in the categories of expandedlearning, achievement in athletics, community service, leadership and the performingarts.

Expanded learning awards were given to students who had demonstrated tremendouslearning outside of the classroom via research an internship or other outlet.Community service and leadership awards were granted to students whose servicehas benefited the University and surrounding community, and who have been effectiveleaders of campus organizations, respectively. Athletics and performing artshonorees were judged on their achievement in those disciplines.

In addition to these awards, 19 Specialized Area Awards were also presented.

These awards were given to students for achievement in a specific area andincluded six memorial awards, seven alumni awards and awards to the six winnersof the two introductory writing contests conducted last semester.

Deputy Provost Mark Aronoff closed the event reemphasizing that this year’#146;swinners deserved even greater recognition than most because they had achievedduring one of the most trying times of our nation’#146;s history.

Aronoff left the audience with these words before they convened for the receptionin the SAC lobby, ‘Stony Brook is wonderful for many reasons, but whatreally makes it shine above all of the other places I have traveled to, is thatdifferent people come together in harmony. This achievement is a result of aconstant struggle. Let the struggle continue.’